OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Base/MySQL/ODBC "can't initialize character set"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigelduffin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Base/MySQL/ODBC "can't initialize character set" Reply with quote

I'm not sure at which point my attempt to open a MySQL database with Base on Windows XP is failing!

MySQL works fine at the command line level.

ODBC is installed and the ODBC connector reports success when tested in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Data sources.

When I try to connect to the MySQL database in Base, at the point where you supply username and password, I get the message: "can't initialize character set", followed by the path.

I've tried using the MySQL administrator to set the path to the character set directory explicitly and to force the ODBC to read options from the 'my.cnf' file (which seems to contain the correct information about locations, etc.)

There are references to this message and problem on the internet, but no-one seems to have a definitive answer. It seems so near to working! - any ideas?

Nigel
mobi-doc
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that they've broken the rule that stays "if it works don't fix it".
You have just installed the MySQL Connector ODBC 3.51.17 under windows.
Just remove it and install 3.51.16, use the "set names ..." initial statement, as you did before 3.51.17.

Anyone involved in MySQL development? Someone should inform them that if the program is installed in C:\Program Files\MySQL\..., that is the place to look for charsets directory. Isn't that a surprise Smile
nigelduffin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to mobi-doc for this very helpful tip. It was one small version step back and one giant leap forward. I can now connect to the MySQL database fine.

However! ...
I now have the problem that I can't see the tables I created in MySQL. When I click on the Tables icon, it asks for password as would be expected, and I get past this stage, but there are absolutely no tables visible. No error message - nothing.

I've seen people complain about tables being read-only, but not invisible. Is there another tip anyone can give??
mobi-doc
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check user accounts in mysql administrator program. Check under what username your odbc data source connects to mysql. And if all these doesn't work, check OpenOffice Tools/Table Filter...
nigelduffin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your further suggestions. I think that what I hadn't got my mind round is that you have to set up an ODBC connection to each database in Administrative Tools/Data Sources. Now I have to grapple with the fact that my tables as seen in Base are read-only. I see that there's quite a bit on the form about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: