OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Outline numbering issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Outline numbering issues Reply with quote

I've used OOo for about 4 years now and originally started using Writer extensively for larger documents (where Word's incessant screw-up of numbering would really irritate me). Over the past few years, I've found Writer to be much more stable in its handling of numbering in general and have used it (in favour of Word) for most documents.

I recently upgraded to OOo 2.2.1 (I can't really remember what version I was on, but it was quite some time ago, so probably about 2.0) and I'm suddenly having a lot of issues with Outline numbering.

One in particular is that when I open a document (which was created in an older version) and enter a new line somewhere with a style defined as one of the heading levels in Outline numbering, the numbering ALWAYS restarts. e.g. when opening the document it looks like so:
Code:

1 Heading 1 text
2 Heading 1 text
2.1 Heading 2 text
2.2 Heading 2 text
3 Heading 1 text

but when I try to add 3.1, the following happens:
Code:

1 Heading 1 text
2 Heading 1 text
2.1 Heading 2 text
2.2 Heading 2 text
3 Heading 1 text
0.1 Heading 2 text

I haven't encountered any issues with the numbering on new documents, but this seems to happen on ALL my old documents.

Looking at the configuration in the Outline numbering dialog the heading 2 style to level 2 association is in tact. Interestingly, if I go to one of my pre-existing headings the promote/demote level functionality doesn't seem to work. This would lead me to believe that the old headings (from previous OOo version) are somehow not recognised on the correct heading level even though their styles seem to indicate that they should be.

A workaround that seems to work ok (but is a lot of manual effort) is to disable outline numbering completely (i.e. choose None in the Number option on Outline numbering for all levels (1-10)), then apply, then re-do the numbering structure (including level-style association) and apply.

A few questions:
    Does anyone have experience of this and maybe a shorter fix?

Are there any known compatibility issues with outline numbering in one of the last few OOo upgrades?

Have there been any significant changes in the styles functionality w.r.t. linking to outline levels that I have missed or should be aware of?
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that there are no heading styles linked to another heading style. This has been found to cause problems when upgrading OOo. These threads may help:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=56420
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=55689
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Outline numbering issues Reply with quote

antonbijl wrote:
Does anyone have experience of this and maybe a shorter fix?
Are there any known compatibility issues with outline numbering in one of the last few OOo upgrades?
Have there been any significant changes in the styles functionality w.r.t. linking to outline levels that I have missed or should be aware of?

I would say yes to the 3 questions. It's not the first time I see such issue related to OOo 2.0 documents. OOo 2.0 was known to be very bad concerning outline numbering. Moreover, this feature has been reworked in the 2.1 and it seems to have an impact with older documents.

However, this flaw is not experienced by all users (my old documents are fine and there are not so many threads about that here).

Note that to rework a document, you can use the Find & Replace dialog and search for styles. Then, Find All to select all the entries of a level and click on the Numbering button on toolbar to disactivate and reactivate the numbering. You can also remove the formatting (with Default formatting option) to get rid off any nasty parameter, sometimes it helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: