OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Interface Fonts Changed to Wacky, Unknown Font

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runnir
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Interface Fonts Changed to Wacky, Unknown Font Reply with quote

I've been happily using OpenOffice for about a year on XP on my laptop. I was trying to play with my East Asian and default fonts for my spreadsheets and I got that to work fine, but soon afterwards when I started OpenOffice all of my toolbar menus, dialogues, and help screens are now this terrible script-style font that cannot be read.

I have followed links around this forum to the Font Troubleshooting guide and tried to use the font replacement thingie, but that doesn't work. I have deleted my application data for OOo and reinstalled, and still the default has not been restored. I can't seem to find any more information and I can't seem to identify what has happened to the application. Help! At this point I'm willing to scrap all my custom settings to get back to a default font!
runnir
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Oh and... Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm using Openoffice 2.2.1 on a fully patched XP Pro.
squenson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runnir,

Something went wrong with your configuration. After you close all OOo applications, including the quickstarter in the systray, you can rename the folder C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERID_HERE\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2 which contains your specific parameters, and restart OOo. If everything is back to normal, you can safely delete the copied folder.
runnir
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: hmm.. Reply with quote

nope, I tried that already. I just tried again: The Dialogue box that asks me to register because it doesn't detect application data is also in the stupid font. Are there any registry keys that may remain that I need to remove for a total uninstall? Should I try an older version?
runnir
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Still Working On it Reply with quote

Font has been identified as GothicG. I tried using a font mask to change it, but nothing happened. I really give up...
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a registry problem? I don't know anywhere else any settings are kept.

What happens if you login as a completely different user and run OOo?
runnir
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: okay, some progress Reply with quote

Okay, good thinking acknak I'm trying switching users:

Good, it worked! Hmm... that means there's data stored outside of c:/Program Files/Openoffice.org/ and c:/documents and settings/[username]/Application Data/OpenOffice2. Anybody have ideas?

I guess I'll try to delete any registry keys left after uninstall... tomorrow though. Thanks for the ideas, my friend.

A tip to developers, make sure you don't bury your settings this damn deep into the OS, this is pretty annoying.
squenson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runnir,

It will be interesting for all of us that you post your findings. I am not aware of any registry entry that could cause such behavior.

And your message to developers will most probably go unnoticed, as they are not reading posts this forum, as far as I know.
runnir
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Hey all, I never managed to do a full registry clean for this one, but I finally solved my problem. I discovered that the font AvantGarde LT Medium was the one that had replaced it. Using the replacement table, was able to solve this problem. Case closed for me. Sorry guys, don't have time to do a full study of this one. Thanks for all of your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: