OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Pevious Object Not Showing Anymore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asjones
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Pevious Object Not Showing Anymore Reply with quote

In OpenOffice.org Draw version 2.0.1 I had imported an image and did some drawing on top of that. Also added some text boxes etc.

Then i realized I should go on and upgrade to the latest 2.2.1. After the upgrade I opened my document and the image I had imported was there, but all the drawing and text boxes were gone.

After playing around for a while I realized the text boxes and drawing were still there but invisible. I could put new stuff in and it would show, but the previous objects would not show unless i clicked on the item and even then it may just show the outline of the object and not the object itself.

This may or may not be related to my upgrading to 2.2.1, but not sure. I have done a fair amount of digging but I can't find a field or property that I could change that would make everything show.

Any suggestions on areas to check?

thanks

Alan
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the objects are now below the image for some reason. Select the image and do Modify > Arrange > Send to Back.

When I do a drawing like this, I find it a big nuisance when the image is selectable and movable. I usually make a new layer (tabs along the bottom edge of the canvas) just for the image, and then turn off the "Modify" layer property (right-click the layer tab).
asjones
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply... I actually do what you do...

My main image was in the Layout Tab and I have it locked....
But just in case i unlocked and did a Send to back but nothing

I then went back to my other tab and did a bring to front on a text box but nothing.

Here is the strange thing. When i select a text box I see the outline selected but still don't actually see the text in it unless I try and type new text in there...

so still very confused...

i do appreciate your response... hopefully I can figure something out.

Alan
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, are your objects on the "Controls" tab, by any chance?

I'm not sure what the point of that layer is (I never use that one or the "Dimension Lines"), but objects on the "Controls" layer are not rendered. This may be a change from previous versions--someone else ran into that with an existing document that suddenly stopped working.
asjones
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you are correct...

I created a new layer4... went to the controls tab... did a select, all cut and paste and then put them in the new layer and all is working....

strange as they showed up there at first...

I wish i understood more about the layers options...

thanks for your help on this i truly appreciate it.

Alan
keme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asjones wrote:
[ ... }
I wish i understood more about the layers options...
Find out. They're very useful and quick to work with. Some clues...
  • The dimension lines is where all measurements go. Good for construction plans and other drawings of physical objects where dimensions are interesting. Select scale to get your measurements correct.
  • Shift click on a tab to show/hide contents of a layer. (Doesn't change print output, only onscreen appearance).
  • For presenting different options/combinations graphically, the draw layers can sometimes give more flexibility to a presentation than Impress.
  • The background layer is locked in normal view mode. In single sheet draw documents, use it for basic/static features. In multiple sheet documents, use it for page numbering, logo/watermark, etc.
  • You can group objects on different layers. Each component stays on its assigned layer, unless you move the entire group to a specific layer.
  • The stacking order is independent of layers. The layers in Draw are used for conceptual grouping rather than modifying appearance (unlike some other software)
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey good tips! I didn't know any of that--well, just a couple.

What is the "background layer" you refer to? I don't see that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: