OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Trouble with Text Width in Imported Excel Table - Pls. Help

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Not_Registered
General User
General User


Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Text Width in Imported Excel Table - Pls. Help Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have an annoying problem with editing tables in OpenOffice and I was hoping to find some advice here. I have imported a blank Excel table into my OpenOffice document (didnīt know how else to create an appropriate table in a normal .sxw-file), but I canīt change the text width, i.e. the adjustments keep getting set back as soon as I change the "active" field (the one I am editing) by clicking on another field or "exiting" the table by clicking on the documentīs border. I hope you can understand my problem (sorry for my bad language, but Iīm Korean and English is not my mother tongue). Can anyone help me with this? I would be glad to get any advice, since Iīm in a bit of a hurry with this. Thank you so much!

[Note:] This is how I (tried to) change the text width: Right-Click on active field -> Characters -> Character Position -> Scaling. Iīm not sure if these are the terms used in the English version of OpenOffice, but I hope you know what I mean.


Kindest regards
Tolllike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Not_Registered
General User
General User


Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one? Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Text Width in Imported Excel Table - Pls. H Reply with quote

Tolllike wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have an annoying problem with editing tables in OpenOffice and I was hoping to find some advice here. I have imported a blank Excel table into my OpenOffice document (didnīt know how else to create an appropriate table in a normal .sxw-file), but I canīt change the text width, i.e. the adjustments keep getting set back as soon as I change the "active" field (the one I am editing) by clicking on another field or "exiting" the table by clicking on the documentīs border. I hope you can understand my problem (sorry for my bad language, but Iīm Korean and English is not my mother tongue). Can anyone help me with this? I would be glad to get any advice, since Iīm in a bit of a hurry with this. Thank you so much!

[Note:] This is how I (tried to) change the text width: Right-Click on active field -> Characters -> Character Position -> Scaling. Iīm not sure if these are the terms used in the English version of OpenOffice, but I hope you know what I mean.


Kindest regards
Tolllike


First the basics :
What OS and version of OOo are you using? That sxw suggests a very old version of OOo.

Next
Why are you importing an Excel table? And how are you importing it?

Why can you not just create a table in the Writer document?
What does the table do that you cannot seem to do in OOo Writer?

What language do you usually work in? There may be a forum in that language that can help.
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Not_Registered
General User
General User


Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jrkrideau,

Iīm using WinXP and OpenOffice 1.0.1. The program might be a bit out of date, but, frankly, I am not the type who constantly updates such programs. As long as the respective version works, itīs OK with me.

I have imported the Excel table because there are some .pdf-documents I converted into .xls-files to edit their content in OpenOffice (I have no idea how else to edit .pdf-content and itīs mostly tables anyway).

I am using the German version. Iīve already asked around in a German forum, but no one has replied so far. Sad

Can you help me out?



Regards
Tolllike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
foxcole
Super User
Super User


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 2771
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolllike wrote:
Iīm using WinXP and OpenOffice 1.0.1. The program might be a bit out of date, but, frankly, I am not the type who constantly updates such programs. As long as the respective version works, itīs OK with me.

With all due apologies, that approach is inherently flawed, especially when the software is free so it costs you nothing to update it. (I'd understand reluctance to pay for software upgrades, but not reluctance to keep up with free ones. You should at least try to upgrade at major version releases... that is, we're currently in 2.x, so the next major version, 3.0, would be a good time to upgrade again. I believe it's due out in October, though I could be wrong about that.)

There have been substantial changes and improvements in OOo since 1.0.1. Before you go any further, download and install the latest version and see whether you're still having the same problems.

Tolllike wrote:
I have imported the Excel table because there are some .pdf-documents I converted into .xls-files to edit their content in OpenOffice (I have no idea how else to edit .pdf-content and itīs mostly tables anyway).

You'd typically edit the original file, not its PDF. (If you don't have the originals... are you quite sure you have the rights to edit that content... not breaking any copyright laws? Sorry, I always have to ask that question. People too often assume they have such rights and end up taking unnecessary legal risks. Copyright laws vary by country, of course, and there are some international laws that you might need to be aware of. Best to look it up if you're not certain.)

How exactly did you convert the pdf documents to XLS? I'm curious about the tool you used, because that's usually quite a complicated and unreliable deconstruction, and rarely results in a useful file.

Tolllike wrote:
I am using the German version. Iīve already asked around in a German forum, but no one has replied so far. Sad

I believe that may be because the version you're using is so old that no one who is active on the forum still has it... so no one can be sure that any answer they provide actually applies to the version. It's therefore effectively no longer supported---another strong reason to keep pace with upgrades. Wink
_________________
Cheers!
---Fox

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Not_Registered
General User
General User


Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for the advice, Iīll get v3.0 as soon as it is released. Though, I donīt think that my problem is caused by an inherent flaw of the program itself. I rather assume that I have made some settings that now prevent the text width from being changed. So I was hoping that, maybe, some of you guys have encountered the same or similar difficulties and know how to solve this issue.

The .pdf-documents are not copyrighted in the sense that one couldnīt edit it, I just donīt have the appropriate program to do it. So I decided to convert it and copy & paste its content into my OO document (for the converter just search for "PDF to Excel Converter"). The conversion itself, in this case, is not that complicated since the original .pdf-document mainly consists of tables, too.

If anyone knows a way to solve this, please let me know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolllike wrote:
Hi,

thanks for the advice, Iīll get v3.0 as soon as it is released. Though, I donīt think that my problem is caused by an inherent flaw of the program itself. I rather assume that I have made some settings that now prevent the text width from being changed. So I was hoping that, maybe, some of you guys have encountered the same or similar difficulties and know how to solve this issue.

The .pdf-documents are not copyrighted in the sense that one couldnīt edit it, I just donīt have the appropriate program to do it. So I decided to convert it and copy & paste its content into my OO document (for the converter just search for "PDF to Excel Converter"). The conversion itself, in this case, is not that complicated since the original .pdf-document mainly consists of tables, too.

If anyone knows a way to solve this, please let me know.


At the most basic how about importing the Excel document into Calc and proceeding from there? I have never used any of the 1.x versions so I don't know what they will do but a Paste Special > rtf or html should work.

If the docs are not confidential you might want to post the excel table file somewhere and we can have a look at it (but almost certainly with 2.X Smile Someone may have a 1.5 version.

Some handy places to post are

mytempdir.com
http://www.mytempdir.com

or

mediafire.co,
http://www.mediafire.com/
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Not_Registered
General User
General User


Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you can find the documents here, just download the six .pdf-files under "Teilkataloge". Iīll post the converted Excel tables later, I canīt access them right now. Meanwhile, I will give Calc a try.

Btw, do you know how I can insert a "table-free" space into a table document created with Calc?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DiGro
Super User
Super User


Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Posts: 1415
Location: Hoorn NH, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a quick look at the PDF2XL converter.

It retracts all text from the PDF and puts them into one (1) columm of Excel, with every new line on a new row. That is what I've seen on my try. That only concerned straight forward text, like a book

However, it seems possible, with tables I presume, to get those data in more columns, but I couldn't get the converter to save my testing so I deleted all of it.

Just to give you a faint idea Laughing
_________________
DiGro

Windows 7 Home Premium and AOO 4.0.1 NL (Dutch)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
foxcole
Super User
Super User


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 2771
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jrkrideau" Someone may have a 1.5 version. [/quote]
That still could be comparing apples and oranges... 1.5 had significant changes over 1.0, from what I understood when I first installed 1.5. I'm not sure how much good it can do to look at the problem with anything other than 1.0.1.

I also think Tollike should not wait for 3.0 to be released but should go ahead and upgrade now, so everyone will be on the same page when examining this problem... but also, it's quite likely the problem will disappear and we will have all been conversing toward no end except to get to know each other better. Wink
_________________
Cheers!
---Fox

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Not_Registered
General User
General User


Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright...I just tried to download OpenOffice 2.2.1, but my browser seems to have a problem with JavaScript on that site. Damn. Why canīt they just make a direct download link instead of all this "which OS do you use"-rubbish? Mad

Anyway, Iīve tried the whole thing with Calc now, same problem. Even in Calc I cannot change the text width, it just keeps getting set back to standard. Man, Iīm beginning to hate these darn programs. It was worse with Microsoft Word, but even now I am spending more time to figure out some annoying settings than with actually working.

Just curious, but donīt you guys have the same troubles with your versions? Adjusting text width in tables should be a standard task, I wonder if I am the only one here encountering this problem...


Btw, thanks so far for all your replies, Iīm glad that I have found this board. Itīs no comparison to the German counterpart (where Iīm still waiting for the first comment).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stephan_02
General User
General User


Joined: 01 Aug 2004
Posts: 18
Location: germany

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Itīs no comparison to the German counterpart (where Iīm still waiting for the first comment).


Thanks for this special comment Sad

Have a look on my answer in http://de.openoffice.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=53521#p53521



Stephan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Not_Registered
General User
General User


Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies.

Youīre right about that bug! I just tried it and it works, finally. Thanks a lot!


For those who are reading along, Stephan suggests the following workaround: Just put a blank space at the end of the text passage, then mark the passage without the blank and change the text width. This should avoid the width from getting reset.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group