OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

import word file and revisions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffjenn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: import word file and revisions Reply with quote

I have a word file that was set up to record all editing so that multiple people can edit the document and you can track changes (like accept delete or insertion of things, etc.).

In open office writer, how do I turn all of that tracking off? In Writer, the document is cluttered with different colors with previous crossed out paragraphs, etc.
Thank you.
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit > Changes > Show = NO
jeffjenn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
jeffjenn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: references not displayed Reply with quote

actually, i just realized that all of the references in the body of the text are deleted when I bring the documenbt into Writer! Although these references were created with endnote, they are just numbers that are displayed. WHen I click back "show", the references are still not displayed.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here : Working with fields in Word docs. You should subscribe and vote for the bug (up to 2 votes per issue).
jeffjenn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad. That means I am forced to go back to using MS Word. Also there are only 13 vots for that open office bug, so it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to switch back to open office any time soon.
sybille
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use Firefox at work or is that a possibility?

If so, there is another option for a bibliographic database that will integrate with both OOo and MS Word, Zotero:
http://www.zotero.org/
http://www.zotero.org/videos/tour/zotero_tour.htm
Firefox is required because Zotero is a Firefox extension.

As I understand it, citations made with Zotero in MS Word documents will appear when these documents are opened in Writer and vice versa, provided that the bibliographic database is present (which I believe is a requirement for EndNote, as well). I think this works because the Zotero plug-in uses bookmarks rather than fields (you have to choose that explicitly in the OOo version, I don't know about the Word version).

I haven't tested switching between Writer and Word with any documents having Zotero citations as yet, so I can't tell you all of what is involved or how well it works. I can tell you that Zotero will import from and export to EndNote.

In any case, it might be worth a look since maybe there would be a way to use Zotero that would make sense with your work flow and allow you to use OOo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: