OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

HOWTO: Installation in a multi-user Windows environment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
courtly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erikanderson3 wrote:
I'm not 100% sure on Windows, but if it's anything like on a Linux box, each user install is more like ~2MB.

Bang on. I'm having some problems with my WinXP Multi-user installation (at this point I can't even uninstall the application from all user accounts to start fresh, without hacking through my registry), but apart from those issues I can totaly confirm what you said there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this looks really good. BUT, where can I find the documentation for all of this (response files)? The one for StarOffice really didn't contain much. I'd like an overview over what different installation types there are (NETWORK_INSTALL, WORKSTATION etc.) and what they do, what their prerequisites are (do they need a -net install to work from?).

I need a quick procedure that could do the userinstalls faster than two minutes (old computers), I could go over the machines and do a -net install locally, but I want to find my alternatives.

Another thing. None of these work very well on terminal servers. :\

(For those of you that have found solutions, great work!)
vm34

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: hehe.. virus :-)) Reply with quote

adam.ackermann wrote:
OOoUserInstall.vbs

Bad... My antivirus (drWeb http://www.antivir.ru/english/dsav_toolkit/) show me that OOoUserInstall.vbs is SCRIPT.Virus

Of course it's not, but... I have to notice you. Just note.

Valery Moskalenko
vm@fozzy.ua
adam.ackermann

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: OOoUserInstall.VBS and antivirus Reply with quote

Quote:
Bad... My antivirus (drWeb http://www.antivir.ru/english/dsav_toolkit/) show me that OOoUserInstall.vbs is SCRIPT.Virus

Of course it's not, but... I have to notice you. Just note.

That's interesting. I'm running one of the larger, corporate antivirus systems and it had no complaints abouts the script.
Colinjn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: WinXP Home Multi User Setup Reply with quote

Well all these posts have just freaked me out! I just downloaded the lastest version of OOo and wanted to set it up right, after putting up with a warning box flashing everytiime a different user logged in on the old version.

I tried the xp advice given on the download page but the command promt failed to recognise anything I tried to give it. I shuffled the file all over the place to see if anything would work, but to no avail.

So now I'm sitting here thinkting that the best thing would just be to hit the setup button and go buy a whack of RAM. But I'm still holding out for some simple answer. Has anyone actually set this up successfully with winXP-home?
Colin
rickf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: New setup option "-alluser". Reply with quote

I've been trying to understand exactly how the install works, and read through the posts here with mounting alarm. The official installation project at http://installation.openoffice.org/ doesn't seem to offer much either. Most info there seems to be years out of date.

I've noticed that the latest 1.1.1 release appears to have a new option in setup.exe called "-alluser", which claims to use the LOCAL_MACHINE reg key instead of CURRENT_USER. There seems to be no reference to this is any documentation I can find, but I'm guessing that it may be the solution to the file association problems reported in this thread (assuming setup is run at least once with admin privileges).

Also, it seems that if a user attempts to run an openoffice executable (including quickstart) before installing, the setup program now gets run automatically. If it were possible for this auto-run to use a response file, all our problems might be over.

Anyone know anything more about the -alluser option? (It seems to be new in 1.1.1)
Skoorb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

I think I've heard of this option somewhere...

Yes, I would try to run the setup program with the appendix mentioned above.
freebird_trailerpark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: here's how to install on Terminal server/Metaframe Reply with quote

Any problems with this?

1. Install to a folder using the -net option (ex c:\openoffice)
2. as a privliged user, set up OO from your network install in your home share (ex: H:\OOsettings)
3. copy sversion.ini from the user's application data folder in the Profile into the program folder of the folder you created in step #1 (ex: copy sversion.ini from c:\documents and settings\poweruser\application data\ to c:\openoffice\program)
4. edit bootstrap.ini and edit the line where it points to setversion.ini (ex: Location=c:/Openoffice/program/sversion.ini)
5. open up OpenOffice and set up and decorate how you want to be a template for the rest of the users.
6. copy all the OO files from your home share to whoever else's home share that wants to run OO. (ex: copythe folder h:\OOsettings to m:\users\cleatous , bubba, etc.)
7. remove the shortcuts from "all users" and copy them to the profile of the users mentioned in #6. Remove the tray icon by removing from the "Run" in the registry

No need for installations and all users start off with your template and can customize as they wish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: New setup option "-alluser". Reply with quote

rickf wrote:
Also, it seems that if a user attempts to run an openoffice executable (including quickstart) before installing, the setup program now gets run automatically. If it were possible for this auto-run to use a response file, all our problems might be over.

Anyone know anything more about the -alluser option? (It seems to be new in 1.1.1)

I tested it locally, and it seems to work fine. For users with very little rights I got the I/U error but it should be fixed by giving sufficient rights on share\user-folder or just fixing bootstrap.ini (I haven't tested it much..). I'm waiting for a norwegian translation of it now so I can start putting it on our terminal servers.

Looks good, and lets hope they will create more of these solutions, as they will definately bring more users\administrators to OO instead of MS Office.
Svenna
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just made a webpage documenting the installation.
I've tried to summarise and structure this thread, and added my own scripts/modifiaction etc.

Please take a look. I beleive it gives a good overview how how to do a domain installation and would be easier to read than what this thread has evolved to

http://www.iversendata.no/docs/smb-domain/ooodomaininstall.php
ana margareth krugner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: .doc associations ? Reply with quote

[ quote="benwillcox"][quote="denisb "] quando os inícios de uma sessão de um usuário (com perfil vaguear) uma outra estação de trabalho, ms associações da lima que do escritório (doc, xls, ppt) é perdido [/citações ] mim descobriram apenas a mesma coisa eu mesmo realmente, quando I re-re-imaged uma estação de trabalho dos usuários e quando registraram em outra vez nenhumas das associações estava lá, não nivelar a lima nativa de OpenOffice formata! Apenas tentar para fora das várias coisas e veio acima com este certificado: o registro adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.doc/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dot/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xls/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xlt/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ppt/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pps/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pot/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.stc/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.std/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.stw/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sxc/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe registro adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sxd/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/de f registro adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sxg/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sxi/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sxm/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sxw/aplicação de v/d soffice.exe/registro de f adiciona de HKCR\.doc\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 1 registro"/f adiciona de HKCR\.dot\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 2 registro"/f adiciona de HKCR\.xls\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 3 registro"/f adiciona de HKCR\.xlt\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 4 registro"/f adiciona HKCR\.ppt\DefaultIcon / registro adiciona HKCR\.pps\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 7 registro"/adiciona HKCR\.pot\DefaultIcon f/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 8 registro"/f adiciona HKCR\.stc\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 4 registro"/f adiciona HKCR\.std\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 6 registro"/f adiciona HKCR\.stw\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 2 registro"/f adiciona HKCR\.sxc\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 3 registro"/f adiciona HKCR\.sxd\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 5 registro"/f adiciona HKCR\.sxg\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 10" / adicione HKCR\.sxm\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 14 o registro"/f adiciona HKCR\.sxw\DefaultIcon/ve/d "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\soffice.exe, 1"/f parece trabalhar, mas eu não posso dizer se esta é a maneira ' apropriada ' a fazer..... A primeira parte assocía soffice.exe com os vários filetypes. Isto deve ser funcionado como o usuário, de um certificado etc. do início de uma sessão. I belive necessita somente ser feito uma vez, então os ajustes começa carregado sobre com o perfil vaguear para inícios de uma sessão subseqüentes. A segunda parte necessita ser funcionada como um administrador, porque um usuário padrão não tem escrever o acesso a HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Assocía os ícones do openoffice com as extensões de lima diferentes no explorador de Windows. Eu penso que eu porei estes em meu pacote de MSI, assim que começam o jogo em instalam o tempo (instale é feito com priviliges elevated). Eu penso que o comando do registro está somente disponível em XP, mas você poderia o reescrever como um certificado do reg para 2K etc. provavelmente.... Ben[/quote ]
luvdemheels

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice 1.1.1 setup Reply with quote

I just tested the setup.exe /alluser option from home (windows xp pro) and it worked GREAT! Very Happy Very Happy

I installed as a user with Administrator privlages and then was able to log on as any other user and run openoffice with NO intervention! Very Happy

I moved the quickstart from that user profile startup to all user startup and it started perfect for any user I logged on as! Very Happy

This is Great and is what I have been waiting for. I will test this tomm at work in my domain and report what happened.
luvdemheels

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Windows XP - 2000 Pro installation Reply with quote

Ok, I have installed OpenOffice 1.1.1 on several domain computers with the setup.exe /alluser option and it works Great! Very Happy

The only thing I had to do was move the shortcut to quickstart that it created in the startup folder (of the user that I was logged on with) to the All Users startup folder and give Everyone permission (read & execute and read) to that file.

Now anyone who logs in can run OpenOffice and the paths are correct and everything works perfect. Very Happy

I never have to go back to that desk again for a new user to run OpenOffice. Awesome! Very Happy Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Multiuser Reply with quote

I've been reading through all this and I am overwhelmed by all the effort that everybody has put in to this.

However has anyone figured out yet how to mix common and user specific settings?
I want all our users to share certain menus, libraries etc. I also want each user to customize the buttons etc, while maintaining the common references, templates etc. Has anyone found some decent documentation on that issue?

Have been looking for 3 days now, no luck but surely there must be something..

Regards, Frank Question
TroyJohnson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: citrix oo install login script Reply with quote

Hello!

I put in a script that might fit this heading better. Here it is:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

it is hacky, but has worked for a while.

Troy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: