OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

HOWTO: Installation in a multi-user Windows environment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: citrix oo install login script Reply with quote

TroyJohnson wrote:
Hello!

I put in a script that might fit this heading better. Here it is:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

it is hacky, but has worked for a while.

Troy

I kinda built on that: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11286
nicclark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

To a point that way does work!

We run Ooo at a primary school, on a windows 2000 network and have managed to get it to work OKish by installing it on each machine and copyingthe shortcuts. On windows 2000 and xp pro you need to change the permissions,too and copy the sversion.ini file.

We then found that file association didn't work for anyone else, so had to take the registry file out and put it into the all users area in there.

After all that was done, it did work and still does but there are some problems with it not recognising the user files properly (since this way is essentially fooling it).

If you read about version 2 coming in march, you will be very excited to learn that all this is done away with and the program willl generate all user stuff as it goes (like M$ office does) so we will have no more problems cos it will install for all users! I even downloaded a developer copy to find out if it was really true - and it does work! I wonder it there are any plans to release an interim version - PLEASE!
sproutlord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: A slightly different Q ... Reply with quote

Well, two to be correct.

1. The -alluser option looks good - although I presume that this gives all users the same profile. In our school we're using mysql as a db solution through OO - and they're building queries etc, which are held in their user profile (M$ throughout). As it's a domain enviornment though, they move from machine to machine, hence needing true 'roaming' profiles, so the -alluser option is no good for me. I've had to go code-frenzy with Kixtart, getting it to both create the correct connections in DataAccess.xcu and also create the correct registry ODBC entries for the mysql ODBC connection strings. I'm counting the days til a 'simple' multi-user roll out occurs.

2. Due to speed of network in our place, I've areas that run OO fine, and more 'remote' locations where speed appears to be an issue, and OO won't display some large documents correctly - has a difficulty in re-creating graphics etc. If the same user logs onto a PC nearer to the OO -net server, then the document works fine. My question, therefore, revolves around having more than one OO -net server at our site.

With a couple of changes in config files and shared startmenus, I wouldn't have a problem in dropping another Win2K server in to the remote room and get that to serve all the OO requirements, but money is an issue unfortunatly.

So, I'm thinking about the theory of putting a Linux box to do the same thing, with SAMBA installed on it. Would this work? Am I merely confusing matters? If I installed OO -net onto this , would it ever work if I tried it with
a) Linux Binaries
b) Windows exe
... on the Linux system, expecting the Windows systems to cope with it.

Er ... ideas anyone?
Ta
Ash
Lathom High School
UK
nicclark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: RE a slightly different Question... Reply with quote

Hi,

I might be getting a little our of my depth here as I don't know how mysql works in detail, but I've worked out how the new version installs:

It uses an MSI package that I have installed on a couple of test machines - this is a full install on the machine rather than a network install. I don't know if one of them exists or will exist or weather it can just be installed from a share.

It generates user data (3mb) and adds it to the individual profile (we use mandatory profiles so I will set it up in there and then lock it) so each user does have their own settings, but it only stores essential stuff. I think this is the way the MS office installs but I've not used it for a while so can't really remember!

Once it is insatlled and the user has accepted the licence, preferences are saved into their profile.

Nic Clark

Bisham School
Marlow, UK
markf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Open Office 2.0 seems to handle this issue better Reply with quote

I seem to be putting an update on a rather old thread, but nobody seems to have mentioned this yet, and perhaps someone reading this thread might find this info of benefit:

Open Office 2.0 (currently at the time of writing at preview release 1.9m65) handles this issue much better.

Basically, during installation it asks you whether the installation should apply to all users, or just the user doing the install. In other words, it seems to behave the way we want it to. In short: problem solved. Looks like the development guys were listening!

You can download snapshots here:

http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html

Note: if you come across this message at some time in the future, it may be that the full version of 2.0 (or later) is released, in this case please check for a later version first.
johncee53

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Sorta Kinda but not quite a Network Install issue... Reply with quote

I need to install OpenOffice for a BUNCH of users, but can't get the response file figured out to do this. Here's my setup so far:

I have OpenOffice ZIP file extracted to a network share.
I want to run the setup from that location.
I want to do a standalone install on each workstation.
I DON'T want the users to have to input anything.
The first part of my response file is here:

[Environment]
InstallationMode=Install_Normal
installationType=Standard
DestinationPath=c:\program files\open office\
LanguageList=01

I never get anything but Exit Code 3 for this, which is an illegal installation mode. If anyone has already done this type of install, I'd appreciate (A LOT!) a copy of your response file that worked! I'm on a short time constraint, and I'm running out of time!

HELP!

Thanks in advance for any help with this!
gwyn779

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.0 seems to handle this issue better Reply with quote

markf wrote:
Open Office 2.0 (currently at the time of writing at preview release 1.9m65) handles this issue much better.

Basically, during installation it asks you whether the installation should apply to all users, or just the user doing the install. In other words, it seems to behave the way we want it to. In short: problem solved. Looks like the development guys were listening!

I just installed 1.9m69 on a Windows 2000 machine and while it had that option during setup, it didn't work for me. It put the shortcuts in the All Users folder, but when I tried to use it from a non-administrator account, it wasn't set up correctly at all. There were no shortcuts in the start menu and the file associations weren't changed. I had to manually change permissions on the folder in All Users (which I haven't had to do for other software), then I ended up having to mess around with registry keys to get the file associations right since it had modified them in the HKCU directory instead of HKLM.

So my question to anyone: this is supposed to work with this build, right? And if so, any ideas about why it didn't for me?
markf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.0 seems to handle this issue better Reply with quote

gwyn779 wrote:
I just installed 1.9m69 on a Windows 2000 machine and while it had that option during setup, it didn't work for me. It put the shortcuts in the All Users folder, but when I tried to use it from a non-administrator account, it wasn't set up correctly at all. There were no shortcuts in the start menu and the file associations weren't changed. I had to manually change permissions on the folder in All Users (which I haven't had to do for other software), then I ended up having to mess around with registry keys to get the file associations right since it had modified them in the HKCU directory instead of HKLM.

So my question to anyone: this is supposed to work with this build, right? And if so, any ideas about why it didn't for me?

I posted a separate thread about some of these issues here:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15635&highlight=

I used XP and got the icons for all users, but file associations had to be done manually.

Mark
gwyn779

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.0 seems to handle this issue better Reply with quote

markf wrote:
I posted a separate thread about some of these issues here:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15635&highlight=

I used XP and got the icons for all users, but file associations had to be done manually.

Yeah, I read that but my problem was slighly different in that when I logged in as another user, I could see the folder in the start menu, but none of the icons and it wouldn't let me open the program. I also had the file extension problem, but I figured it was related to the computer not recognizing Open Office as a program under that user. Guess it's separate.
Willtur

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: my open office setup Reply with quote

We use zenworks for our rollouts which basically removes some steps and saves you the trouble with syntax on command lines but it is really similar. Openoffice doesnt save the info in registry keys so we made it couple all the files needed in the profile.(if you just try to copy the setup.xcu it will give you missing file errors). We made it copy all the needed files after a silent install. We also specify it to force run per user by always having it run unless a registry key exist under the local user profile. This makes the copy folders to profile always run once per user, once the key is put in place it wont run for the user on that machine again.We ended up doing the following:

check for registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZenApps]
"OpenOffice"="INSTALLED"

If installed it will not run

openoffice.exe /S

does the silent install. then we edited the settings we needed like register and office format saving. After that we went into the user profile and copied the files in the user profile to our server:
Code:

Directory of O:\Zen_apps\Open Office 2.31\OpenOffice.org2

03/18/2008  12:17 PM    <DIR>          .
03/18/2008  12:17 PM    <DIR>          ..
03/18/2008  12:17 PM    <DIR>          user
               0 File(s)              0 bytes

Directory of O:\Zen_apps\Open Office 2.31\OpenOffice.org2\user

03/18/2008  01:00 PM    <DIR>          basic
03/18/2008  12:17 PM    <DIR>          registry

Directory of O:\Zen_apps\Open Office 2.31\OpenOffice.org2\user\basic

03/18/2008  01:00 PM    <DIR>          .
03/18/2008  01:00 PM    <DIR>          ..
11/13/2007  08:41 PM               987 dialog.xlc
11/13/2007  08:41 PM               987 script.xlc
03/18/2008  01:00 PM    <DIR>          Standard
               2 File(s)          1,974 bytes

Directory of O:\Zen_apps\Open Office 2.31\OpenOffice.org2\user\basic\Standard

03/18/2008  01:00 PM    <DIR>          .
03/18/2008  01:00 PM    <DIR>          ..
11/13/2007  08:41 PM               288 dialog.xlb
11/13/2007  08:41 PM               305 Module1.xba
11/13/2007  08:41 PM               349 script.xlb
               3 File(s)            942 bytes

Directory of O:\Zen_apps\Open Office 2.31\OpenOffice.org2\user\registry

03/18/2008  12:17 PM    <DIR>          data

Directory of O:\Zen_apps\Open Office 2.31\OpenOffice.org2\user\registry\data

03/18/2008  12:17 PM    <DIR>          org

Directory of O:\Zen_apps\Open Office 2.31\OpenOffice.org2\user\registry\data\org

03/18/2008  12:17 PM    <DIR>          openoffice

Directory of O:\Zen_apps\Open Office 2.31\OpenOffice.org2\user\registry\data\org\openoffice

03/18/2008  12:16 PM             1,229 Setup.xcu
               1 File(s)          1,229 bytes

Then we had the app copy to the use profile by using a variable:
%*UserProfile%\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2
its different for windows servers

So in summary edit once copy to user profiles once per user not per machine With the install silent it can run over and over per machine since it wont prompt. You just need to copy the directories over per profile.

Sorry if its all over the place I'm trying to generalize it from Zenworks only since this can be done at login script also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: