OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

After Download Computer Will Not Start Up - Shuts Off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoleCat2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: After Download Computer Will Not Start Up - Shuts Off Reply with quote

Well, I guess I should have listened to the virus protection program when it told me to be wary of an unlicensed program when I was trying to download the program.

After I downloaded and installed the OpenOffice program, I opened the word processing program, made a sample letter, saved it, and then opened it again to make sure it worked.
All looked great and the Open Office folder showed all the Office suite programs just like you would expect.

I was very pleased. Until - the computer shut itself down later.
Now, when I try to restart it, it makes an attempt to start, but it never succeeds in turning on the screen.

It looks like the main unit tower is on ( it is humming like before) but it is not getting to the screen to turn on the screen.
Does a PC monitor (or tower) have battery problems that would be affecting the start-up of the monitor ?

Anyone know any PC tricks for waking up a screen ?

This has never happened before until after this download.
The monitor power indicator that used to blink in a slow steady beat when in sleep mode
is now flashing like it is having some kind of flutter attack - blinking very fast.

The Computer eventually just shuts itself off if left alone.
This has never happened before either.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From where have you downloaded OOo ? Official site ?

I've installed several times OOo on Windows machines, never had any issue. What I can say is that it can't come from the official OOo version at least. Especially with such hardware issue. Have you checked that no cable has been unplugged ?
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just a coincidence that this happened after installing OOo; besides, there's no malware that I've ever heard of that does anything like this: it's more useful to have your computer running and under the virus' control, than to frag the computer.

First, as Hagar says: check all the cables.

You can test your monitor (partly) by powering on the monitor while it is disconnected from the PC. Most monitors will display a message saying "No Signal" or similar. That may at least convince you that the screen works.

The better test is to swap monitors with a working PC. If a known working monitor still has the same problem on your system, then it's the system that has the problem.

I'm not sure what might cause the symptoms you're describing, but it sounds like your system has a hardware problem. Maybe the video card?
PoleCat2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the software from this link http://www.openoffice.org/

Now when I turn on the computer all I get is a very, very fast flashing light on the monitor.
There is no picture - it just flashes the former sleep mode light.
The computer will not let me turn it off again once it is turned on but after a while it turns itself off.

I checked all the wires and connections - nothing seems to help it.

Since the computer has never acted this way before, I can only assume it was the download since it happened immediately after the software was installed.

This PC had not been connected to the internet until just this week.
We used it only for grandchildren's games and educational programs.

I only used this PC to try to find a program to install on my Mother's PC in another city.
I am so glad I did not install it on hers first and leave her stranded without a machine.

We have always had Macs. No such problems with the Macs.
The more I learn about PCs, I intend to keep it that way.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoleCat2 wrote:
This PC had not been connected to the internet until just this week.
We used it only for grandchildren's games and educational programs.

Had you an up to date antivirus and firewall installed when accessing the web ?
PoleCat2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No update to the Virus software I am sorry to say.

I am so used to Macs being able to take care of themselves.
The virus software I had - said to be wary because there was no license attached to this software.

So, I went back to the site and examined the other links on the home page.
They all seem to work correctly directing me to pages that were indicated,
so I figured it was a trustworthy company.

Then I downloaded the software.
All went well and the actual suite of OpenOffice programs were installed in the correct folder.
To check them out, I tried the word processing software, it worked fine.
So I figured all was well until the computer shut off on its own.

I have not been able to get it to start the monitor since.
And when I press the start up button, the sleep light on the monitor starts to blink like it is having a heart attack in a very fast beat - not the slow steady beat of the sleep mode.

The tower starts up, whirls fine, but nothing happens.
Then I can not get it to shut off using the Start Up Button.
I have to either shut off the power strip or wait for the computer - which turns itself off if you wait a little.

Are there any key combinations to force the computer to start up or shut down like on a Mac ?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See your screen user guide to know what is the meaning of the blinking light and try with another screen. Can you access the screen configuration ? Perhaps there is a problem in the frequency. You can also try a Linux live CD to check there is no hardware issue (just put the CD and restart the computer).

NB: Windows is not Mac, you should read some documentation about security when accessing the net. Or try Linux, depends on your PC use (but not so much games for your kids yet).
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying to turn off the computer, did you hold the power button for several seconds?

I'm not familiar with a blinking "sleep light" on PC monitors. Mine has a single light which is green when the monitor is on normally and turns amber when the computer turns off the monitor. A Google search found many references to a sleep light on Macs, but I didn't see anything about a sleep light on a PC monitor.

How old is the battery on your motherboard? Has it ever been replaced?

Have you checked the plug-in cards and connectors inside the computer? A loose card or connection can cause startup problems.

When you turn on the computer, does it beep?
PoleCat2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems I am experiencing are not on our Mac computers.
We have not had problems with any of our Macs.

The problem is on our PC eMachine with Microsoft Windows XP that we had exclusively for our grandchildren to play their educational software and games.
We did not have a problem with it either as it was not connected to the internet until this past week when our daughter-in-law needed it for her work.

All worked fine until I downloaded the OpenOffice program software for Windows XP.
Immediately after that download, the computer started experiencing the problems mentioned in previous messages.

The monitor with the eMachine has a lighted circle around the center ON / OFF button.
When on - it is a steady blue. In sleep mode - it blinks in a slow steady pattern.
In this case, it is blinking frantically.

I am not familiar with PCs. Do they have a battery that needs replacing ?
What are the symptoms for this ? Where would I find internet information with instructions ?

I have replaced internal batteries on all our Macs before with no problem.

We are visiting out of town at the moment so I will have to check again when we return home if the BEEP is still working. I had the external speakers turned off so did not hear it if it did.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a battery issue (never experienced any battery issue, working with computers for 20 years).

It's clearly a problem with the screen signal. To check that there is no hardware issue (a plug misengaged, ...), you should try a Linux live-CD. It doesn't install anything on your HD, don't worry (plenty of them in Linux magazine, just make sure it's a live-CD). If it works fine, then, it's a problem with your Windows configuration. Try to boot in safety mode but if you don't see anything, I doubt you'll be able.
PoleCat2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home now.

When I turn on the computer with the power button and hold down the Windows key, there is a one time Chime/Sound.

I disconnected the monitor from the computer and when the power button is pressed, I still get the rapid blinking light around the power buttton.

Normally, sleep mode is a slow steady beat.
Operating with computer programs correctly - the light stays on the monitor button constantly without blinking.

What is a Live Linux CD ? music ?
Never heard of it - don't know where to get a magazine of it.
Mark B
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look for Linux Format - this normally has a selection of Linux distros on its cover DVD. It also contains useful articles - quite often by one or two very good authors (mentioning no names). You can also download different live cds/dvds from the internet (just google "live disk linux").

Mark
PoleCat2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark

I investigated some of the links for Live disk Linux but nothing looked like a download that might help. Many were for purchase.

I have found that if I hold down the < R > key when I start up the computer I get the little startup tune for Windows. When I press the power button to turn it off, I now get the little tune just before it shuts off.

Monitor still did not do anything but blink the power button rapidly. It keeps blinking the same no matter if computer is on or off.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems there is a problem with your screen. Can you check either your screen on another PC or another screen on your PC ?

For a Linux Live CD, see here for example : http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download.
Mark B
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem you'll have is choosing which version of Linux to go for - my personal favourite is SUSE - you can download the live DVD at http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/iso/dvd/openSUSE-10.2-GM-LiveDVD.iso

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: