OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can I link cells from different documents?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanjoeel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Can I link cells from different documents? Reply with quote

Hi, my first post. First let me say that I love Oo! it's great, I use it every day while running my small landscaping business.
This is what I would like to do:
I would like to know if there is a way to link cells from different documents. For example, I have a spreadsheet that lists all of my accounts. I would like to enter information there and also have that specific info entered into a specific location in each invoice, saving me from entering the same data twice on two different documents. Is it possible to overlay an invoice onto a spreadsheet, and link the cells between my invoice spreadsheet and my accounts spreadsheet? Sorry if this seems like a ridiculous question, but I have no training using spreadsheet programs, I just learn as I go. I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. It would help me save massive amounts of time from entering the same data over and over. Thanks!
Jason
squenson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can!

If you want to refer a cell in a separate worksheet in the same document, use the following syntax:
Code:
=<sheet name>.<cell reference>
=Sheet2.B4

If you want to refer a cell which is in another document, then use:
Code:
='<filename>'#$<sheet name>.<cell name>
='file:///C:/Data/dayprofit.ods'#$Sheet1.L15

Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a reference like
='file:///path/otherfile.ods'#SheetName.A1:B5
This will import sheet "SheetName" of file:///C:/path/otherfile.ods into this workbook as a hidden sheet (see Format>Sheets>Show... then). The reference refers to that hidden sheet in this file actually.
At Tools>Options>Calc>General: "Update links on open" you can choose if the link gets updated on open or not or if the application should ask for update. For manual update see Edit>Links...
When updating, the application tries to read the last saved version of the other file from disk and read the values (not formulae) of the referred sheet into the hidden sheet of this file.
Another way is =DDE("soffice";"C:\path\otherfile.ods";"SheetName.A1:B5") which loads the other file invisibly.
Then there is Insert>Sheet from file with option "Link" whihc inserts a visible copy of the sheet.
Finally you can treat spreadsheets as pseudo-databases and import ranges from the datasource pane (F4)
sanjoeel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!! Thanks folks! I will give this a shot and get back to you with my results! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: