OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Why is OOo So Slow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duke
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Why is OOo So Slow? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if these speeds are normal. I have found OOo Calc to be very slow compared with Excel.

Opening -
Excel: 13 seconds
OOo Calc (Opening XLS file): 3:43
OOo Calc (Opening SXC converted from XLS): 6:53

Closing Without Save -
Excel: 1 second
OOo Calc (XLS file): 2:00
OOo Calc (SXC converted from XLS): 1:14

I am running Open Office 1.1.1b.
If i just open Open Office Calc with no file it takes about 2 seconds.

I was also wondering how does Open Office make the file so small. The XLS file is 19meg. When I save it as SXC its arround 2 meg. I would have thought the smaller files size would have made it open lots quicker.

If these speeds are normal then it is prob worth paying the money for the latest version of Microsoft Office due to the lost productivity that would be generated while using OOo.

Is there something wrong with my install? or is this normal? How does everyone else put up with this speed if it is normal.

Also is there anyway to automatically convert VBA code to OOo Basic because we have lots of databases with thousands of pages of code that would take months to convert manually.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is OOo So Slow? Reply with quote

duke wrote:
I was also wondering how does Open Office make the file so small. The XLS file is 19meg. When I save it as SXC its arround 2 meg. I would have thought the smaller files size would have made it open lots quicker.

If these speeds are normal then it is prob worth paying the money for the latest version of Microsoft Office due to the lost productivity that would be generated while using OOo.

Is there something wrong with my install? or is this normal? How does everyone else put up with this speed if it is normal.

OOo compresses files using the ZIP algorithm. This saves some bytes, but the cost is on effeciency! I worked on a 4MB Excel spreadsheet in Excel all week, never noticed the size of the file, Exzel saved it instantly. Pivot tables were generated instantly.

I then opened the file in StarOffice Calc 7, just to try the Data Pilot... damn it was so slooow... and saving was slow too. I would never be able to use Calc at work.

Nor Writer. I am doing my best to assist the developers with testing and comments, but slow saving and other issues makes OOo a bad choice for me. I must way for OOo 2.0, and if these issues are not solved, then I can only recommend OOo to those who really need a free suite, but I myself will have to leave it until it improves.

OOo is a great suite and a fantstic project, although it is not at all a MS Office killer yet. But I am following the development closely, I recently discovered that the developers are looking at many of the issues I HATED myself... good news. Users test showed them the way...
dfrench

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the large spreadsheets seem to take longer ... my guess is that this is a memory management issue at least in some cases ... the stored xls and sxc files can grow dramatically when in memory in the calc application. My 17Mb excel file may shrink to 1.8Mb as an .sxc but it requires 131Mb in memory. Fortunately, I am running with 512Mb physical memory but I would expect alarming load times if there was paging as well.

We could probably do with some benchmarks to see the impact of new releases on speed , memory size and other contentious matters.
duke
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Bench Marks Reply with quote

Bench Marks would be good.
Would there be a set of standard tests that could be developed. This way people could run these tests and post their hardware specs. This way it may help narrow down what is the real issue. I have been monitoring the CPU usage while loading and a lot of the time it sits there doing nothing. I'd like to know what its doing. The HDD does not seem to do much either. I have not been monitoring the memory usage though. I think ill try it on my computer at home because that is more powerful than my work PC. I'll see how it performs there.
dfrench

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been monitoring the CPU usage while loading and a lot of the time it sits there doing nothing. I'd like to know what its doing.
Waiting for a network activity ? Certainly my loads will drive the machine to 100% cpu every time but I have a single user workstation.
duke
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Network Activity Reply with quote

Quote:
Waiting for a network activity ?

It cant be this because I was working on the local machine. Software installed locally and file was copied to the local HDD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: