OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to print a banner spanning multiple pages?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khinch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: How to print a banner spanning multiple pages? Reply with quote

My wife used to use programs like "Bannermania" to produce printable banners spanning multiple pages. Does draw have this facility? If not, are there any free programs which will do this?

Any info much appreciated.
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: OOo 2 (Draw): How to use an image editor to make a poster Reply with quote

OpenOffice.org 2 (Draw): How to use with an image editor to make a wide poster

Open a new drawing document
Format > Page
Set the formatting to portrait
Set the width to a multiple of a normal page width (i. e. for 11 inch paper - 44 inches)
Click OK
Design your banner
File > Export
Export in a graphics interchange format that your paint program reads (bmp, tif, gif, png, svg) If you have a recent version of Adobe Photoshop, it can open PDF files (File > Open...). This is the preferred way if you have Photoshop, since it offers more resolution options rasterizing the PDF.
Use your paint program to copy and paste single-page sized selections into new windows. Print each window with no borders, or trim the borders from the print.
If you are using Adobe Photoshop, you can also select a page-sized part of the image, then do File > Print, then choose Print Selection from the print options dialog.
acknak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your drawing is larger than a single physical page for the printer you choose, you will have an option of printing on multiple pages (File > Print > Options > "Tile pages")

You can try it, but I find it is not all that wonderful: first, it's not at all smart about splitting the drawing, so you usually get lots of extra blank, or nearly-blank pages. Second, Draw provides no markings on the pages to help you line them up, or even to tell which page goes where.

You will probably be happier to use real banner-printing software, or as James suggests, printing a PDF file from Acrobat or other software that does a better job of printing tiled pages.
khinch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that information is very helpful. I'll do a few trial runs and see how it goes.

Does anyone know of any free/cheap banner-printing software? It doesn't seem to be something that people do these days, for some reason.
rrsIPOV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumbled across this posting while looking for how to do this myself. In the interest of anyone else searching for an answer, here is one: Its still a multi-step process, but I just found a programs "PosterRazor" - http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/ which automates taking an image and splitting it up for printing - it saves it as a multipage PDF which you then have to print, but its better than manually splitting the image.
haridsv

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrsIPOV wrote:
I just stumbled across this posting while looking for how to do this myself. In the interest of anyone else searching for an answer, here is one: Its still a multi-step process, but I just found a programs "PosterRazor" - http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/ which automates taking an image and splitting it up for printing - it saves it as a multipage PDF which you then have to print, but its better than manually splitting the image.

Thank you so much for this information, it helped me to create a quick banner in a time crunch. Much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: