OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

PDF Conversion Yields Blank Pages
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonegold
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: PDF Conversion Yields Blank Pages Reply with quote

When I export directly to PDF using Writer, the resulting PDF pages are blank. The correct number of pages are generated, but they are all blank. PDF converson has been working in the past, and I'm not sure what has changed.

I'm using OpenOffice version 2.2.1 on Windows XP.

Thanks!
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: PDF Conversion Yields Blank Pages Reply with quote

jonegold wrote:
When I export directly to PDF using Writer, the resulting PDF pages are blank. The correct number of pages are generated, but they are all blank. PDF converson has been working in the past, and I'm not sure what has changed.

I'm using OpenOffice version 2.2.1 on Windows XP.

Do they print correctly on a physical printer? Because PDF is a printing process, this will be useful to know.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
jonegold
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF Conversion Yields Blank Pages Reply with quote

foxcole wrote:
Do they print correctly on a physical printer? Because PDF is a printing process, this will be useful to know.

No, I can't print to a physical printer either. This happens only with Writer. Calc, and the other programs print just fine.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF Conversion Yields Blank Pages Reply with quote

jonegold wrote:
foxcole wrote:

No, I can't print to a physical printer either. This happens only with Writer. Calc, and the other programs print just fine.

Hmmm... I was hoping for a different answer, because this means we have to cast a wider net to figure out what is broken... something in the document or it installation or the PDF process (but no one else is having these problems).

Does it happen with all Writer documents, or just one or two specific ones? Does it happen only with new documents you've created in 2.2.1, or with older ones too? What happens if you repair your OOo installation (download or obtain a fresh copy, and install over the current one)---any improvement?

jonegold
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF Conversion Yields Blank Pages Reply with quote

foxcole wrote:

Does it happen with all Writer documents, or just one or two specific ones?

It seems to be all Writer documents.

foxcole wrote:

Does it happen only with new documents you've created in 2.2.1, or with older ones too?

I was able to print (using 2.2.1) an older document created with a previous version of Writer.

foxcole wrote:

What happens if you repair your OOo installation (download or obtain a fresh copy, and install over the current one)---any improvement?

I've uninstalled 2.2.1 and re-installed with the same download, and still have problems printing. I can try to download again, uninstall, then re-install.
floris_v

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a lot of unnecessary work.

What kind of files are they - all graphics? In that case, check if Graphics is checked in the printer options. Can you print files with only text? Because I have the same settings as you, and no problems.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
That would be a lot of unnecessary work.

What kind of files are they - all graphics? In that case, check if Graphics is checked in the printer options. Can you print files with only text? Because I have the same settings as you, and no problems.

Actually that's a good clue that something may be wrong with the installation itself. As jonegold noted, there are no problems from Draw or Calc, and no problems with documents created in earlier versions of Writer, just with new documents. So if reinstallation doesn't take care of it (but it does take care of a surprising number of odd issues), then we look more closely at the exact file content and what might be different between it and the content created in older versions of Writer. It's typically much easier to repair OOo than it is to analyze files, so I usually suggest the easier route first.

Doubtful Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same here with OpenOffice 2.2.1 and Win2k.
"Export to PDF" feature yields blank pages. As i have Acrobat 7 installed i also tried printing to pdf. In this case nothing happened at all. I also tried to switch off firewall, no way((
I was only able to get valid pdf through printing to CutePDF printer with GhostScript driver, and only when I checked "print left and right pages" boxes in settings.
I'm new to OpenOffice so I don't have any previous writer version documents to check. I didn't check it with other office apps as i didn't work with 'em.
May be this could be of a help, at least temporary.
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading an installation file that is the same as the one you already have, and when it's over 100 MB in size is, IMVHO, a lot of unnecessary work. I wouldn't object to a clean install.
Doubtful Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
....I wouldn't object to a clean install.

I have just reinstalled OOo (full install). Export to PDF still doesn't work. But now I can print to Adobe PDF printer (as I said I have Acrobat installed) or CutePDF (it's free utility). It is necessary that left and right pages boxes shall be ticked in print settings (parameters) on the 2nd screen, like this (texts are in russian as i have russian version of Win2k, but i think print options dialogs look the same in other language versions):

jonegold
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uninstalled and installed from fresh downloads several times, and I still have the same issue. I think I'm going to back-track to the previous version of OpenOffice. I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one with the problem. Does this issue warrant a bug report?
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you install Win XP service pack 2? It may make a difference. You could also upload a dummy file with some random text to a files-sharing site so we can see if your issue is reproducible - because I don't have probs exporting to PDF under XP.
jonegold
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presently running XP with Service Pack 2. Here is a link where you can download a file that doesn't print...

http://www.belview-tech.com/OOo/print_test.odt
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was scary. It looked like the printer hang. Odd thing: I opened it again, added two spaces, deleted the two spaces, saved the file, and had no problem printing it. Also, the saved file is shorter than your file.
I'm not very good at making sense of xml files, but my guess is that the default template has somehow become corrupt.
jonegold
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I replace my default template with one that is correct?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: