OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Printing Double Sided Labels (?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CFRandom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Printing Double Sided Labels (?) Reply with quote

Anyone reading this thread is probably thinking, "Why the heck would anyone want to print double sided labels?"

I am an ancient coin collector (it's the coins that are ancient, but I am catching up) and I store my coins in small, clear envelopes called "flips". The flip is a double envelope and when folded over the coin is in the front pouch and a card bearing information about the coin is in the back. The card needs to be about 1.75" sq and I would like to print information on both sides.

I've done this before in Word, but I no longer have access to that system. What I can't figure out in Writer is how to get the blocks of information on the front of the sheet to align with the blocks on the back so that I can cut up the sheet into 24 card labels.

If I am asking something obvious, I'm sorry. I have little other use for a word processor so I've never learned all of the features and terms of art.

TIA for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Roger
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your paper stock is symmetrical you should have no problem: the margins will be the same on both sides.

Otherwise, you can use a mirrored page layout, or separate left and right page styles. The latter will give you complete freedom to adjust the margins for the back-side page.

I've used a mirrored page layout with pages meant for duplex printing (front and back) and the alignment was "good enough". I imagine that trying to do labels would be more exacting and maybe very difficult to get perfect alignment, depending on how accurate your printer's paper handling is.

You will have to copy and mirror the layout of the labels--if you just print a copy of the same layout, (I think) the labels will not match. I.e. the top left label on the first (front) page will correspond to the top right label on the second (back) page.

One other possibility might be to print the labels on sticky label stock, then affix those to the front & back of a blank card. That would simplify things a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: