OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Is OpenOffice.org a memory hog? I don't think so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaertus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Is OpenOffice.org a memory hog? I don't think so. Reply with quote

I've read lots of articles saying OpenOffice.org uses memory and CPU in a less efficient way than Microsoft Office. I've even read that Sun doesn't dispute the numbers (i.e., assume that Microsoft Office may be faster than OpenOffice.org). Here are some of the links to these articles:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=119
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=120
http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/001041.html

Well, I just had to see it for myself. I tested both OpenOffice.org Writer 2.2 and Microsoft Office Word 2007 on my Pentium 4 2.6 GHz machine with 512 MB RAM running Windows XP SP2. My results are just a little bit different...

I have to agree that Word 2007 loads almost instantly and Writer takes a bit longer. When both are loaded, Word consumes only 26 MB of memory and Writer consumes 32 MB.

As I wrote just a few lines, Word took 5-9% of my CPU and up to 30 MB of memory. Writer took only 1-3% of my CPU and up to 34 MB of memory. But I don't use word processors for writing just a few lines of text. I use them to write much more complex work. Then, I tried to push both word processors to the extreme.

I used both word processors to opened my 335-page dissertation with lots of tables and footnotes, in .DOC format.

Memory consumption went up to around 50 MB in both MS-Word and OOo Writer (the difference was in fact very low - of about 500k in favour of MS-Word). As I scrolled down from page 1 to 335, something interesting happened. Word consumed up to 50% of CPU and up to 64 MB of memory. Writer consumed only 8-20% of CPU and up to 52 MB of memory. Results were similar when I used native format files (ODF for Writer and OOXML for Word).

I did the same test again using a less complex file, a 109-page text with no footnotes. As I opened the file, Word consumed up to 47 MB. As I scrolled down to the end, memory consumption went up to 52 MB. Writer consumed 48 MB as I opened the file, but memory consumption remained stable (at the same 48 MB) as I scrolled the text to the end.

Finally, I opened a very simply-formatted 3-page document with both word processors. Word consumed 31 MB when I had just opened the file. Memory usage held in the 33-34 MB range and peaked at 37 MB. Writer took 37 MB just to open the file, but memory usage remained stable as I edited it (peaking at 38 MB). Although it consumed less memory, Word took more CPU power to edit the file. Word CPU consumption peaked at 16 MB, and Writer peaked at only 8%.

Microsoft Word may consume less memory when just opened at an "idle" status. As I begin to use its features, memory consumption increases substantially. OpenOffice.org Writer, on the other hand, consumes more memory when opened at an "idle" status, but memory consumption remains quite stable as I work. The result is: Word consumes less memory for handling simple tasks, but Writer is more efficient when dealing with long and complex files. Plus, Writer consumes MUCH less CPU power than Microsoft Word, especially when dealing with large files.

I have to admit that Microsoft Word 2007 consumes more memory and CPU than its 2003 counterpart, largely due to its new graphic interface. Writer, on the other side, became much faster as it evolved.

In conclusion, Word may be more suitable for writing simple 3-page letters, as it is faster to load than OpenOffice.org Writer. But Writer is definitely the best choice if you want a word processor for large and complex documents.

I've just compared OpenOffice.org Writer to Microsoft Word and the results of this comparison aren't necessarily the same for Calc or Impress. If someone has done similar tests, let me know!

Anyway, I recognize that the programmers did an amazing job improving OpenOffice.org memory issues and I hope it gets even better in future versions.
skaertus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just performed the same test with WordPerfect X3 and it performed horribly.

WordPerfect consumes only 23 MB when loaded and, at first, seemed to be better than Writer and Word in terms of memory efficiency.

But then I tried to open my 335-page dissertation in .DOC using WordPerfect and it just couldn't recognize the file, maybe because of the heavy formatting. I managed to open a .RTF version of the file, but WordPerfect did a terrible job at doing that. The conversion process was long and took over 80 MB. Even so, WordPerfect wasn't able to read properly the formatting of the dissertation and spread its content over 4,000 pages. It consumed 62 MB only to open the file, and peaked at an astonishing 166 MB when I tried to manage it. Writer conversion system is just so much better than WordPerfect...

The results were not so catastrophic with the other files. The 109-page lightly-formatted document also took a long time to open, but WordPerfect did it properly. It consumed 46 MB when opened, and peaked at 54 MB when edited. CPU consumption was at the 40-50% range.

The best performance was reached with the 3-page simple text. It consumed only 27 MB to be opened and edited, and CPU usage peaked at 17%.
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big memory leaks occur in calc, not in writer
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see more problems in Impress than only compelxe documents in Writer
The Big Dish Man
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Memory usage - I have a problem Reply with quote

Hi all

I have a problem with memory currently on Windows Task Manager at 110Mb but 0% CPU with a single xls file (six worksheets) open. It takes ages to open (up to three minutes), ages to print even a small selection (up to four minutes via USB to dedicated HP officejet d145), up to three minutes to save changes, and up to three minutes to close, AND freezes the computer for the last twenty or so seconds of any of the above. Running XP Home. Memory was set at 9Mb for OO with 2.4Mb per object, plus load on quickstarter. Now set at 50Mb and 8Mb respectively and quickstarter off but it has made little difference.

Problem exists on calc, impress and writer. I don't user base or math.

Hoping for advice in advance.

Barry
The Big Dish Man
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that KWord runs on Windows now. Gnumeric is available for Windows. I don't know about a Foss presentation application.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: