OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Thread or Topic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see better clarity in the forum?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Undecided
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

KitchM
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Thread or Topic? Reply with quote

The button reads "New Thread", but this window states "Post a new topic".

Which is it?

To make matters worse, up above it states "[New Posts]". What exactly is the preferred name for these entries? Couldn't we just have them all named the same? Why must everything be so confusing? Maybe I'm just slow, but there seems to be no benefit to this confusion.

Thanks.
paulmgrein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a phpbb thing, I used to it though
keme

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thread or Topic? Reply with quote

KitchM wrote:
The button reads "New Thread", but this window states "Post a new topic".

Which is it?

To make matters worse, up above it states "[New Posts]". What exactly is the preferred name for these entries? Couldn't we just have them all named the same? Why must everything be so confusing? Maybe I'm just slow, but there seems to be no benefit to this confusion.

Thanks.
The technical term is a new forum thread. What constitutes a new topic is up to you to determine, but if you decide it is, the forum rules requests a new thread to be made. I guess that's why it says "new topic".

New posts can be made in any number of threads in any of the subforums. The "new posts" link is to a predefined search, and will give you a list of new posts since your last login.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Thread or Topic? Reply with quote

KitchM wrote:

To make matters worse, up above it states "[New Posts]". What exactly is the preferred name for these entries? Couldn't we just have them all named the same?
Threads and posts are two different things, hence they need different names.

KitchM wrote:

Maybe I'm just slow, but there seems to be no benefit to this confusion.
What confusion?

Would it not create more confusion to use the same word to refer to both threads and posts when these are completely different concepts?
KitchM
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More people understand what is a new "topic" or "subject", than they do a "thread".

But a topic and thread are not the same. Those are obvioiusly different. In correct terminology, a topic is the subject of the thread, and not the thread itself.

One may "post" something, but that is then used as a verb. To also use it as a noun is indeed confusing, as well. Post office terminology in a discussion forum is inappropriate.

I like what this editor box says, "Post a reply". That is fairly clear and straight-forward. But even better would be "Create your reply".

A forum is divided into categories, and then sub-divided into individual discussions. A person would then create a "New Discussion" or "Reply" to the current discussion. Simple! All the buttons around the screen should then conform to those few terms.

Oh, and by the way, a "new thread" button is inappropriate within the discussion area itself.
Japanac033

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... I agree that it is unnecessary to have two terms on the site for the same thing, but I mean... common. For those that follow forums, there is absolutely no confusion with thread and topic.
KitchM
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. With respect, I believe you unintentionally stumbled upon the fundamental issue.

The concern is not necessarily related to those familiar to forums, but rather to those who are not. Forums are becoming a ubiquitous part of the Internet experience, and people of all knowledge levels should be able to find an intuitive interface. Less than that is always poor design. I believe that it should be apparent that such is not acceptable, and that many of the 6.5 billion people in the world might not fine the issue as humorous as you do.

Even with my considerable experience, going from one forum to another always makes me concerned with becoming familiar with the intent of the operators. One should be concerned with fitting in, and a lack of clarity in this regard can lead to unintentional misunderstandings; something that the civilized individual wishes to avoid at all costs.

Sometimes, simple changes make a whole lot of sense, and are easy to implement. I am confident that those who set up this forum are certainly able to supply the suggested improvements, as they have shown themselves to be very skilled and capable with the site so far.

Thanks again.
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site uses specific software where they have chosen a specific terminology. KitchM, if you have experience in these things (good UI people are difficult to find), I would encourage you to go directly to the primary forum project to make such things the defaults.

I believe that this is "phpbb".

Man am I sleepy...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KitchM
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wake up! Very Happy

Thanks for your good response. I sort of thought that might be the issue, and I did get in touch with them. So I will pursue that course. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't only OO's implementation of the phpbb that was at fault.

Thanks again. I appreciate it very much.

Now I think I'll take a nap. Laughing
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just arrived home from work... I should take a nap while my little girls and wife are out.

It is always difficult to obtain input from people. Then again, some projects don't like input (sadly I should say).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KitchM
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've experienced that as well. Sad

Thank you for your good response. I'll let you know what I find out.

Now, go get that nap. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: