OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

E-mail document as attachment [solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph_N
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: E-mail document as attachment [solved] Reply with quote

OOo 2.3 has a feature--maybe it was in previous builds, too--that the user can click an icon and, supposedly, e-mail the document under construction as an attachment on--according to OOo's help file--the machine's default mail program. My default mail program is Thunderbird. The mail info in OOo's configuration dialog is complete except for passwords. But when I click the e-mail icon, OOo opens up an e-mail composition window from Outlook. When I click a mailto: link on the 'net, Tb opens, not OL. Why is OOo opening OL?

Last edited by Joseph_N on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
helmerj
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: E-mail document as attachment Reply with quote

Joseph_N wrote:
OOo 2.3 has a feature--maybe it was in previous builds, too--that the user can click an icon and, supposedly, e-mail the document under construction as an attachment on--according to OOo's help file--the machine's default mail program. My default mail program is Thunderbird. The mail info in OOo's configuration dialog is complete except for passwords. But when I click the e-mail icon, OOo opens up an e-mail composition window from Outlook. When I click a mailto: link on the 'net, Tb opens, not OL. Why is OOo opening OL?

Hi!

I can only guess, but that guess would be, that OL is your standrad mail application under Windows. Make Thunderbird the standard mail application and OO wil use that instead.

Cheers Juergen
Joseph_N
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. As my original post indicated, Thunderbird is my default e-mail program under Windows.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Thunderbird and when I click the envelope icon to send an email Thunderbird opens. I'm using V2.0.0.6. In Thunderbird Go to Tools--->Options---->General--->System Defaults. Make sure the box is checked that says "Always check to see if Thunderbird is the default email client on startup." In Internet Explorer Go to Tools--->Internet Options---->Programs and make sure that Thunderbird is showing as the email client.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: E-mail document as attachment Reply with quote

To attach ANY file to ANY email client capable of sending attachments, use the email client to figure it out, not OpenOffice. Save the file somewhere; I have a folder, "Filesout" for the purpose. Go through the email client's process of sending attached files. No problem, and practice makes it simple. I've been doing it for a bazillion years, and have never had a problem [even when files could not be sent as attachments, and had to be encoded and embedded in the text!]
Joseph_N
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:
In Internet Explorer Go to Tools--->Internet Options---->Programs and make sure that Thunderbird is showing as the email client.
Bingo. The last Microsoft update reset that field from Tb to OL. Although Tb was configured to check to be sure it was the default program (in Options), apparently it did not reset that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: