OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Trusted Certificates: How to add one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mobi-doc
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Trusted Certificates: How to add one? Reply with quote

OOo 2.3 with WinXP SP2.

Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Security/Macro Security/Trusted Sources

There are 2 parts:

1) Trusted Certificates
2) Trusted File Locations

I can not know how to add a trusted certificate on the first part of the dialog. The 2 related buttons are "View" and "Remove". No "Add" at all.

I already have some trusted certificates installed on both windows and mozilla firefox.

Anyone help please.
Thanks.
marknelson
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, because when I go to Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Security/Macro Security/Trusted Sources Just above the cancel button I see an ADD button. Just curious but what operating system and version of OpenOffice.org are you using so the experts can better help you Question Question
mobi-doc
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ADD button is to add a trusted file location, not a trusted certificate.
John McCaskill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Digital Sigs and macro security setting problem WRT certs Reply with quote

Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? I have run into the same issue. I am using OOo 2.3.1 and Windows XP SP2.

I am trying to digitally sign a document that contains macros so that I can load the document and run the macro from the command line without having a security warning window pop up.

I was able to figure out how to use the macros from the command line with help in this thread: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=67848

I was able to figure out how to generate my own certificates from here:
http://www.top20toolbar.com/misc/codesigncert.htm

I was able to digitally sign the document after upgrading to version 2.3.1 of OpenOffice.

The problem that I am now having is that I can not figure out how to get OpenOffice to recognize my certificate as a trusted source so that I can get rid of the security warning without setting the macro security level to low.

I have been searching through the forums, and this is the only thread that I found that appears to discus this issue.

I can use the cert that I created to sign the document, and OpenOffice displays it a a valid signature. But when I try to open the document with macro security set to Medium, it still pops up the security warning window.

When I go to Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Security/Macro Security/Trusted Sources, no trusted sources are show, and I can not find an option to add one. The Add button that was mentioned earlier in this thread is only for adding a trusted location, which is not what I am trying to do.

I have the cert that I used to sign the document in the Personal section of the Windows certificate area. I have the root cert that I created in the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" section, and the server cert in the "intermediate Certification Authorities" section. There is currently nothing in my "Trusted Publishers" section, but I did try importing my certificates into that section and it did not solve my problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should try next?

John McCaskill
www.FasterTechnology.com
rcpao

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Trusted source may be added when you run the signed macro. Reply with quote

When you open a digitally signed document, you will get an OpenOffice.org - Security Warning dialog box showing the signature, checkbox for "Always trust macros from this source", Enable Macros button (disabled unless checkbox is checked when you are using the default High Security Level), Disable Macros button, and a Help button.

You must check "Always trust".
Click Enable Macros button.

Now that digital signature is in the Trusted Sources list, you can verify using Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Security > Macro Security button > Trusted Sources tab.

I know of no other way to import a signature into the Trusted Sources list.
John McCaskill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Thanks ! Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

This finally got me to where I want to be. The one extra bit of information is that it is the macros in the document that need to be signed for this to work. If the document is signed, but the macros in it are not, you get the security warning window, but it does not have the check box to alway trust macros from this source.

John McCaskill
www.FasterTechnology.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: