OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

spellcheck limitations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vimov

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: spellcheck limitations Reply with quote

I just switched to OOo a few days ago (1.1.0; win2k). There are several annoyances in the spell checker (US English):

Words in custom dictionaries are always checked for capitalization, even if they were added to the dictionary in low case. For instance, "daughtercard" from "sun" dictionary is flagged as misspelled if it is at the start of the sentence and is thus "Daughtercard."

Words in custom dictionaries are never among suggested words. (Suggestion for "Daughtercard" is "Daughter card")

"Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids > Options > Check Capitalization" does not do anything. For instance, "escherichia" is flagged as misspelled no matter what the above setting is.

Are these bugs or am I missing something?

Last edited by vimov on Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
vimov

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found solution: converted my user dictionary into custom MySpell dictionary and added it. The process is described in this very helpful message:

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgId=796366

One thing I cannot figure out is the format of user dictionaries. My text editor says it's in Unicode, but it is not Unicode.
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like UTF-8, but not plain text, with some additions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drawback of solution described in my second post is that several words from the custom dictionary are ALWAYS among suggestions, which is weird.

A better (and simpler) approach is to add the list of custom words at the end of main dictionary (in my case it's C:\Program Files\OpenOffice1.1.0\share\dict\ooo\en_US.dic)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: