OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Writer Doesn't Load SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbreitk
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Writer Doesn't Load SOLVED Reply with quote

Newbie (1 week) at a school. I've had a few teachers using OO 2.03 for a week now on WIN XP sp2. We use Novell client as well. Over the weekend a few (4 teachers) have lost the capability to open any OO program. I'm not talking a file, the program itself won't open. The splash screen doesn't even pop up. The other teachers are having no problems with it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kyle

Last edited by kbreitk on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes have that too. There may be an instance of the program that wasn't properly closed and then it can't properly open. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, Click the Processes tab and look for OOo processes, close them all and then try starting OOo again. If that works, please add [Solved] to the title of the first post of this thread (edit the post).
kbreitk
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked great. Thanks for the help. Before I put SOLVED on the thread, is there something we can do to avoid this from happening? If it was an isolated case I'd be fine with it but it happened to a few different teachers. Are we not closing out of it properly? We use a lot of email attachments that are still MSO, if that would cause issues?

At a school though, I can thank enough people for making this work. We were looking at 60K for the district to go to MSO 07! Needless to say, I'm trying to implement OO.

Kyle
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't know what causes it, but it's better to have a workaround than to have nothing.
kbreitk
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

O.K. I think I put the two problems I've had together:

1st: We couldn't open documents from our server as we have an underscore in our folder names. Trying to do this, caused the splash screen to come up but the file-or program to open. Thus, we have to open writer first and then do a file>open.

2nd: With the hangup in the writer not opening at all, I discoverd that they had tried to open files on our server multiple times. This casued a hangup. The staff (who got trained) in doing a file>open and never tried to access the icons haven't had a glitch yet.

I hope this helps for future use. Thanks again.

Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: