OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Line auto wraps in cell....arggg!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Line auto wraps in cell....arggg!!! Reply with quote

I type in a sentence I want to have displayed across the cells horizontally. It wraps and displays in the same cell. I can't get it to stretch and display across cells to the right. WHY!?

I've tried copying other cell contents that do this. I've compared cell formatting. Nothing seems to work.

Bug???
Fusion
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you perhaps miss the "Automatic line break" option in the Alignment tab of the cell formatting dialog? It's down there at the bottom.
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neb

I agree with what Fusion says above. Use these steps:
1 - Right click on cell
2 - Select "Format Cells..."
3 - Click on the alignment tab
4 - Make sure the "Automatic Line Break" check box is empty

Alternatively you could merge the cell with those to its right. This would be the better way of doing it if you wanted the text to go over into the next cell or 2 or 3, but you do not want it to go across all cells to the right. In other words if you have a long paragraph in the cell, such as the one you're reading now, rather merge the cell with as many cells to the right as you wish the text to appear across and keep the "Automatic Line Break" on.

Cheers

Anton
ArthurTan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: How to do the Auto Shrink of text / numbers within the cell Reply with quote

Hi

My problem is the complete opposite. How do I perform the 'shrink to fit' function found in the MS Excel ? I don't seem to be able to do it except to manually shrink the text / numbers in each cell using the font size function.

Pls advise. Thanks.

regards
arthur
Neb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'auto line break is not checked'

I hadn't tried the merging cell thing, I'll try that.

Also, if I have a cell that formats fine, ie the text expands and displays over the cells to the right, and then if I highlight that cell and hit the <spacebar> to clear it and press enter, then the cell won't expand to the right again. And the auto line wrap is not checked!

Arrrgggg!!!
Darren
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neb

I've never had a problem with this. I tried recreating as you described but it works fine on my system. First a few questions:
1 - Your version of OOo?
2 - Your platform/operating system?

Finally, the only thing I can think of right now is that the cell to the right is not empty (it might appear blank, even though there are non-visible characters in it). Please make sure the cell to the right is empty. Do this by highlighting the cell and pressing backspace. Don't do it by pressing spacebar and then enter, this will put a single space in the cell causing it to appear 'blank' but not allowing text from cells to the left to be displayed over it.

HTH

Anton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: