OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Create auto-value field in table by wizard- SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Create auto-value field in table by wizard- SOLVED Reply with quote

I was trying to create a simple little table with a auto-value field, using the table wizard.
(This in ooBase ver 3.0.0, on Win XP) A "little detail" took me a little while to deal with, I thought I'd write things up to save the next person. So: This isn't a question; it's a "How to".

Specifically, I wanted the table's first field to be an auto incrementing integer, to be used as the table's primary key.

Launch wizard

In Step 1 select whatever fields you want. You can always rename/ re-type any in the next step

In step 2, I renamed the first field "PriKey", set the field type to "Integer", selected auto-value "yes"....

*** AND TYPED IN "IDENTITY" (it can be in caps or lower case, but you can't use some other string) AS THE "AUTO_INCREMENT STATEMENT ***

(That last sentence in caps, 'cause it is the "hard" part of all of this.)

In step 3: Selected "Use existing field as primary key", and chose "PriKey". Left "Auto Value" ticked.

That's it!

(A beginners intro to Primary Keys should be up at....

http://sheepdogguides.com/fdb/fdb1main.htm

.... and a guide to creating an autoincremented field is at

http://sheepdogguides.com/fdb/fdb8makeauto.htm

by 1 December 2008)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: