OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Change bullet size of round (default) bullets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
instrodi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Change bullet size of round (default) bullets Reply with quote

Hello all,

In the options window of bullets the size of the round (black) bullets can be either very small or big. There does not seem to be a medium size. Does anybody know how to set the bullet size?

Thanks,
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Change bullet size of round (default) bullets Reply with quote

instrodi wrote:
Hello all,

In the options window of bullets the size of the round (black) bullets can be either very small or big. There does not seem to be a medium size. Does anybody know how to set the bullet size?

Thanks,

You should be able to do this by edting the Bullet style under character styles.
instrodi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I cannot find the Bullet style - Character style option. Can you tell me where to find it.

I am doing the following.
I select a bullet with my mouse and go to the options "Bulets and Numbering". I select the "Bullets" tab. Here you have a lot of options to chose from but there does not seem to be a bullet (round black) with a medium size.

Thanks[/img]
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instrodi wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I cannot find the Bullet style - Character style option. Can you tell me where to find it.

It's the List 1 style in the Styles and Formatting (Stylist) window, under the Bullets and Numbering tool. Right-click on the style titled List 1 and choose Modify.

If you don't like any of the defaults shown there, click the Options tab where you can select the bullet character you want from font symbols, or click the Graphics tab to use graphic bullets from the Gallery. Do this for each bullet level you want to use.

then apply the List 1 paragraph style, which uses the List 1 bullet. (The bullet is actually a numbering style. If you edit the List 1 paragraph style, look at the Numbering tab. You'll see it specifies List 1 from Bullets and Numbering.)

instrodi wrote:
I select a bullet with my mouse and go to the options "Bulets and Numbering". I select the "Bullets" tab. Here you have a lot of options to chose from but there does not seem to be a bullet (round black) with a medium size.

Don't do that. The toolbar button applies direct formatting and does not use the List 1 paragraph style. Direct formatting causes all sorts of problems down the road, especially after you've learned to use and prefer actual styles.

Modify the List 1 bullet style as noted above and apply the List 1 paragraph style to the paragraph.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
instrodi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Quote:

It's the List 1 style in the Styles and Formatting (Stylist) window, under the Bullets and Numbering tool. Right-click on the style titled List 1 and choose Modify.

I can find a "Styles and Formatting" under "Format" in the toolbar. It is not under the Bullets and Numbering tools but I suppose this is the one you are refering to. I did as you suggest but it does show the same options as before. A tiny bullet and a big one, but no medium size.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

instrodi wrote:
I can find a "Styles and Formatting" under "Format" in the toolbar. It is not under the Bullets and Numbering tools but I suppose this is the one you are refering to. I did as you suggest but it does show the same options as before. A tiny bullet and a big one, but no medium size.

The Styles and Formatting window opens when you press the F11 key or click on the toolbar tool that looks like a finger pointing to a page, or when you select the menu option that you found.

It's a separate window containing all the style definitions for your document, and I never suggested it was under the Bullets and Numbering tools. I said the Bullets and Numbering tool is in this Styles and Formatting window and that the style you want to change can be found there. If you only see a tiny bullet and a big one, then you're not looking in the right place. Please read my last post more carefully and try again.

instrodi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the correct window. To resume, what I am looking for is just a black round bullet with medium size and no graphics or other fancy bullet types. Here an image that shows that there are only two types of round black bullets, tiny or large.

foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instrodi wrote:
I am in the correct window. To resume, what I am looking for is just a black round bullet with medium size and no graphics or other fancy bullet types. Here an image that shows that there are only two types of round black bullets, tiny or large.

Ah, okay... then I already answered that question in my first reply:
Quote:
If you don't like any of the defaults shown there, click the Options tab where you can select the bullet character you want from font symbols, or click the Graphics tab to use graphic bullets from the Gallery. Do this for each bullet level you want to use.

instrodi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I suppose the image shows clearly what the issue is.
Any help will be appreciated.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be an Options tab to the right which is not shown in the image. Select that tab and look for the button by "Character".
instrodi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WIth the Character option I can chose from hundreds of characters. I did not find any bullet there.
I just want a medium sized round bullet like there is most text editors. It seems such a basic thing to me and I do not understand why this is so difficult.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instrodi wrote:
WIth the Character option I can chose from hundreds of characters. I did not find any bullet there.

There actually are several kinds of bullets there, but they're not all grouped together. That has something to do with how Unicode organizes its character sets, so it's not anything that OOo controls. (The same characters are presented in exactly the same way no matter what program you're using th access them. You'd have to go through the exact same sets in Word too, for example, and you'd have to use these character sets in Word if you want a real bullet character that will show up on anyone's computer. Word's manual bullets, the ones you'd pick from the bullets and numbering tool, are not true characters, so they often won't appear correctly on other people's computers.)

Try this:

• In that dialog (Options tab Character button), choose something "universal" such as Arial for the font set.
• For the font subset, try General Punctuation.
• You'll still have to look through the characters to find bullets or symbols that you can use as bullets, but there is a bullet that might suit your needs: U+2022. (This appears in various subsets, and the characters are arranged numerically by Unicode value.) That might be a better size, and it's one that I prefer, personally.

To learn more about Unicode characters, please see http://www.unicode.org/.

Scott E

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Lack of medium size bullet default is deal breaker for OO Reply with quote

I appreciate what people contributing to the OO project are trying to accomplish. However, it's way too many clicks to find the same medium sized bullet that everyone uses in MS Word. It needs to be the default bullet. It stops me from recommending OO to my customers. IT'S A HUGE DEAL BREAKER! Bullets are used all the time and the default medium sized bullet should be a single click, without having to change any style sheets, etc.

My two cents.
markpoyser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to chime in and agree with Scott E. To have to go into styles for a simple change of bullet size is overly complex.
toll_booth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a much easier way to adjust bullet size.

1. Left-click on one bullet to select them all. (The cursor will look like <-|-> when it's at the right location to click.)
2. Change the font size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: