OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Control Click Hyperlinks - how to turn off?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoandar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Control Click Hyperlinks - how to turn off? Reply with quote

I remember fixing this once in the past, but I can't find any reference to how I did it. After installing the OpenOffice 2.3 upgrade, the issue returned from the grave.

When I have a hyperlink in a Writer document, and I want to click on the hyperlink, to activate it, I have to hold the Control Key down first. I don't like that, and prefer to just have my hyperlinks click "normally".

How can I undo that setting so hyperlinks do not require holding the Control Key down?

Thanks!
acknak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is brand new with OOo 2.3; there used to be a way to disable the links altogether (in Writer at least).

There is no way to change the link behavior at all now, unless you revert to an earlier version.
Zoandar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: A documented problem is known as a "feature" Reply with quote

I recently read a satirical article in which the author detailed one of the dodges so commonly used by tech support companies today. By referring to a problem they couldn't solve as a "feature" of the product, and documenting it as such, customers would no longer try to report it as a problem.

The driving force behind my interests in OpenOffice.org was that I was so disgusted with the arbitrary "features" in Micro$oft products, and so I began a slow course change with which I ultimately hope to one day be completely free of all their over-bloated and under-customizable software, including operating systems. Moving away from Office and into OpenOffice was the first step.

I am sorry to read that your fine organization seems to be slipping into the Micro$oft mindset and creating arbitrary "features" that some will find annoying and want to turn off, only to discover they cannot. As to why the latest 2.3 version would have made this issue set in stone, I cannot even imagine. Surely it must have taken some effort to change it from the original programming that allowed this to be set or cleared. That effort could certainly have been better applied in something actually useful.

Please make this "feature" customizable in the next update. In the mean time, I will "downgrade" back to my previous version 2.0. Could you tell me if I need to completely remove version 2.3 in order to do that, or is it possible to just re-install the earlier version over top of 2.3?

Also, since I seem to have no reference to how I fixed that "feature" in 2.0, could you tell me where to look in Writer 2.0 to find it so I can disable it again?

Thanks.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: A documented problem is known as a "feature" Reply with quote

Zoandar wrote:
I am sorry to read that your fine organization seems to be slipping into the Micro$oft mindset and creating arbitrary "features" that some will find annoying and want to turn off, only to discover they cannot. As to why the latest 2.3 version would have made this issue set in stone, I cannot even imagine. Surely it must have taken some effort to change it from the original programming that allowed this to be set or cleared. That effort could certainly have been better applied in something actually useful.

Please make this "feature" customizable in the next update. In the mean time, I will "downgrade" back to my previous version 2.0. Could you tell me if I need to completely remove version 2.3 in order to do that, or is it possible to just re-install the earlier version over top of 2.3?.

This is a user-to-user forum... it isn't our fine organization and we don't fix features. Smile Wink

The request to make the feature customizable has already been filed in the issue tracker and discussed several times on this forum, so you're definitely not alone in wanting to be able to control that behavior.
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=79950

I happen to think it's a very good change, but users should be allowed to make that choice. Microsoft gave their users the choice when they implemented that same feature. There's a switch... OpenOffice taking half a page from the MS Word book, and not the half they should have considered first.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
acknak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is a community support channel. There are no developers or others here with any authority to act on your complaints.

If you wish to report something that will be seen by the developers, you can register and file an issue at Open Office Quality Assurance - Report Bugs.

I believe 2.0 will install and run independently of 2.3, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you go back to any version prior to 2.3 (2.2.1 was the previous stable release), then the links will activate with a left-click. There's no need to configure anything, and no need to go all the way back to 2.0.
Parris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Double-clicking hyperlinks Reply with quote

I am a writer; novels, etc. I like to click a simple hyperlink to a branching "Overview" file wherein I have links to other chapters, out-takes, proposed inclusions, lists of characters plotlines and file/chapter doc stats.

Since the latest upgrade I have had a fine little Donald Duck fit thinking all of my hyperlinks are now nonfunc.

I discovered that a right-click on a hyperlink brought up a menu which gave me the option Open Hyperlink. A time-consuming two-step. (You know when dancing in the arms of the Muse ya gotta concentrate!)

Discovering that I can CNTL-click is faster and a help. Thank you, Zoandar.

Stil, I want the old way back.
Zoandar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for all the replies. I am glad to see I am not alone. Smile

I'll probably move back to the 2.2.1 version based upon this information.

I am surprised that M$ gave users a choice. I must then assume they buried the way to choose deeply in their poor excuse for a Help file. Or perhaps they scattered bits and pieces of the required procedure in several different places and sub-menus. Smile

Parris -

I am happy to be of service. I know all too well the utter frustration of digging for days to try to find out why some program is arbitrarily doing exactly the opposite of what you want it to do. Even when developers DO provide a choice, for some reason known only to them, they seem to always make the least popular of the 2 choices the one that is default.

I use the hyperlinks in a similar fashion in the various computer and software log files I keep that began as a way around all the angst described above. Discovering something like you describe is frustrating, indeed. But remembering that you HAD solved it once before, but now have no clue how you did it, is VERY frustrating. So when I do find a way around this sort of thing, I usually make note of it. I know I had encountered this CTRL=Click issue in some previous version. But I apparently forgot to log what I did to get past it.

My logs are accessed from a front page that is nothing but dozens of hyperlinks in alphabetical order. If you happen to know of a nifty way to have Writer bring up a list comprised only of all the hyperlinks within a document, something like an index, please let me know. I have wanted to do something like that for years, and never figured out how, when using different header styles in Word and eventually OO Writer. But the M$ document map is very short-sighted in that department, and won't let you list only one of the styles in the middle of the range of 0-9. So if you want to see all of the Style 5 listings, for example, you also have to see all of 0-4 along with them. Not much better than the actual 199 page document they are in. If I could do that with hyperlinks instead, I would change the way I organize the data in the logs and use hyperlinks instead of styles.

Thanks one and all!

Last edited by Zoandar on Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you open a Writer document read-only (or toggle the "Edit File" button on the toolbar), then the hyperlinks in the document behave normally (single left click).

I understand that you find the former behavior useful, but it seems to me that hyperlinks are primarily an aid to the reader, not the writer of a document. For that reason, I think the current behavior is very good, and it is appropriate that the links should be activated through a slightly less prominent action.

If you need easy access to different parts of the document while you are working on it, try using the Navigator (F5): you can jump to any heading or section of the document with no extra setup or need to insert special links.

There has also been some discussion recently of adding special tabs to documents that would provide easy navigation to different sections from within the document--but that's just a suggestion at this point.
Zoandar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand that you find the former behavior useful, but it seems to me that hyperlinks are primarily an aid to the reader, not the writer of a document. For that reason, I think the current behavior is very good, and it is appropriate that the links should be activated through a slightly less prominent action.

I do appreciate your help with this. But this statement typifies EXACTLY what I am talking about. It is an arbitrary judgment, made from a personal opinion. No one of us can hope to think of every way that someone might want to utilize hyperlinks. In my instance, I am the sole creator AND reader of these documents. Therefore, I need the hyperlinks to be not only convenient to create, but convenient to edit and read later. So I disagree with a developer carving such an idea in stone. The settings for "Preferences" are supposed to be to let a user set up what they prefer, not what some programmer wanted on his own computer.

The real issue underlying all of this is -- why did someone suddenly decide the way it used to work was not desirable? Did a bunch of OO users complain about having hyperlinks that actually worked the way they are supposed to? I guess I am questioning what could possibly have induced someone to want to change it, more than whether or not the current control+click method is useful. To me it almost seems like Writer is trying to protect me from myself -- like opening a hyperlink might be a bad thing.

Your suggestion for the Read/Only - Edit-File procedure does seem to work. Most of the time, I am not editing the index page to my logs that has the dozens of hyperlinks by themselves, so this might be useful to me. However, I then would like to know how to get this particular document to open with that feature by default. Is there a way to do that, similar to the way I use a macro to get each log to open and position the cursor at the end of the document rather than at the beginning? As you can see, my needs are writer-based, more than reader-based.

Thanks for reminding me about the Navigator. I usually use it only to access bookmarks, but I see that it can do a whole lot more.

Cheers!
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does happen sometimes that the OOo developers make decisions based only on their own opinion, which sometimes seems arbitrary and ill-conceived, but not in this case. If you want to read some more discussion, along with all the considerations behind this change, see the issue foxcole linked to above. There are considerations far beyond what button you have to press to activate a link.

An application can't be, and shouldn't try to be, all things to all people. The developers must choose some things to do very well, and other things not so well, or not at all.
Spiceskull
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,

After installing OOo 2.3, and getting to grips with my profile import, I now discover that my hyperlinks do not work as they previously did, and came looking for a solution.

This thread has the exact question I wanted to ask (thanks Zoandar for asking my question elegantly) and disappointingly the solution is a reversion back to 2.21...

This is what I will now have to do, until the feature is user-customisable in a later build. I guess that with the hyperlinks issue, and also my problem with importing my own user-defined colours, I am not quite ready for 2.3 yet...it is a certainty that will find other user-defined issues if I continue with 2.3...

Still, good thread, and, amazingly, one that I found my answer on instantly...if only other forums could be so "tidy"

Adam.
larrymcg
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least with OOo2.3.1, the tool tip that shows up when you hover the cursor over the hyperlink tells you to ctrl-click to Open it. I don't know if that was true in earlier 2.3 versions or not but the tool tip saved me a lot of grief.
--Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: