OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Office 2007 compatibility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtom71
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a free novell version for windows.Go to the GO-OO site and you can download it from there. I have it installed on my wondows xp machine right now. If I am not mistake there is a link on this formum that takes you to the site.

UPDATED Go-OO Site (along with win32 ooo-build 2.3.0 build)

Here is the post I was talking about and can be found on the third page of this forum.
calande
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I found the Windows version and it's working fine, it opens docx properly. However it doesn't save as docx, correct? This is not a big problem Wink
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calande wrote:
However it doesn't save as docx, correct?

Quite likely. Then again, Word 2007 doesn't either. Start a new document, enter some text and save it as a .docx. Then start another new document, enter the same text, save it as a .doc file, then save as .docx. Next open up the internals and compare, they're very different.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtom71 wrote:
There is a free novell version for windows.Go to the GO-OO site and you can download it from there. I have it installed on my wondows xp machine right now. If I am not mistake there is a link on this formum that takes you to the site.

UPDATED Go-OO Site (along with win32 ooo-build 2.3.0 build)

Here is the post I was talking about and can be found on the third page of this forum.

That's interesting considering the features page does not advertise support for OpenXML.

I would appreciate everyone's help in writing a canonical answer to the question "How to open OpenXML documents". I started writing an answer here:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/General#How_do_I_open_Microsoft_Office_2007_files.3F
* BleachBit
</signature>
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that the software you download from OpenOffice.org and the software you download form GO-OO are two different programs - oh, most of it is the same, but not 100% - just like my copy of OpenOffice.org under Kubuntu that came with the OS is not the same and just like StarOffice from SUN is not the same -

Each has slightly different 'pieces' added to it, or left out.
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi--

I see Novell has an odf-converter for OOo, but it does not work for me. I have just installed OOo 2.3 and that did not help, either.

See this thread at UbuntuForums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=386385&highlight=docx

Any other suggestions of how to open this docx file someone sent me?

Thanks!
huwg
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See AndrewZ's answer above.
alienwithin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgermann wrote:
Hi--

I see Novell has an odf-converter for OOo, but it does not work for me. I have just installed OOo 2.3 and that did not help, either.

See this thread at UbuntuForums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=386385&highlight=docx

Thanks!

What version of 2.3 are you using? I use Novell's and have no problems with docx files. I'm currently using 2.5, but had no probs with novell's 2.3 either. Does ubuntu's version not offer docx support yet? btw, I am talking about openoffice, don't need to convert it as it opens the docx files for me.
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienwithin--

I am using OOo 2.3 which I downloaded from the OOo site--used the debian version.

huwg--

Thanks!

So it looks lik I need to replace the plain vanilla OOo 2.3 with Novell's version or one of the other two mentioned?

Interesting too that you don't need MS Office to open their stuff. I do have one XP machine where that one might work, too.
DeShock
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgermann wrote:
Hi--

Thanks!

You could ask them to send it as a doc file. Many people are not going to be able to open docx files at this point. I don't think the sender should be surprised if a recipent needs to receive a doc file and not a docx file.
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeShock--

Ultimately that is what I did. She sent it to me in doc format. I was also able to open it on the XP machine using WordViewer2003 once I got the conversion pack installed

Last night I upgraded one of my machines to Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10, which has OOo 2.3 in an Ubuntu flavor and it opens the docx file out of the box. However, it does not seem to have a way to save it as docx. Or at least save an odt file as docx.
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I received a Christmas letter in docx format. I first tried to open it in Linux and found that Konqueror unzipped it and I was able to pick out the text in "stream of consciousness form" and reformat it - easy enough with a simple letter. But from the size of the file I guessed there was a picture there too.

Today, after reading this thread, I tried opening it from within OOo 2.3.0, and amazingly it opened (I must update my file associations). As I thought, there was a picture, which hadn't come out the right size, it was very tiny, but easily stretched out. However, when I tried to save as .odt I got an error message "error in writing sub-document styles.xml". When this happens my usual trick is to try cutting and pasting the visible content into an new document and save that; this saved perfectly.

My correspondent is probably one of the 90% who thinks that everyone else has exactly the same software as they do - I wonder how many recipients of the message will be able to open it. Unfortunately, I am afraid that these 90% are the ones who will eventually steamroller this format over OASIS.
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howard--

Would you say a little more about how you picked out the text?

The one I got was a list with prices (not sure why people think a word processor and a space bar are the same thing as a table!), and what I saw, with wrapped lines, was hard to make out which price went with which items.

And, would you have been able to pick out the picture using your method? (I'm always interested in back doors, just in case the front door is locked....)
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

I foolishly deleted the original once I'd got it into a sensible form, so I have to go on memory alone and I don't have any other docx files to experiment on. Basically I just clicked on the file and Konqueror automatically unzipped the folder, revealing sub-folders and files, there were two levels, one in the second level looked from its name as though it was text, so I opened that in the default editor and got a long string of words without any formatting at all. But in this context it was easy to sort out. I pasted it into OOo writer and formatted it by hand. I imagine one of the other files contained the picture and it may well have been openable - but I didn't try. (Odt files have a similar structure, but they are usually associated with something that will open them properly, so you never get to see the details.)
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug:

Just as an FYI . . . perhaps another technique to use to 'convert' the DOCX file (Microsoft Word 2007) so you can use it in Writer ( OpenOffice ) is by using the web page:

http://www.zamzar.com/

From that web page you can 'Select' the DOCX file . . . upload it . . . tell it to 'convert' it to an ODT format . . . then . . . it will upload it to the Zamzar site, convert it . . . and . . . you will receive the file back in a format OpenOffice can open within minutes.

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: