OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Garbled Text

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobkupferer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Garbled Text Reply with quote

I am a 65 year old computer illiterate computer user!
Each time I try to open certain files, i,e, dll etc. they open in a garbled text?
How can I fix this problem.
Thank you;
bobkupferer@gmail.com
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dll's are binary files and require specialized applications to work with them. Your basic word processor will not work correctly.
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you tell us what you're trying to do, we can make a suggestion.
bobkupferer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Garbled Text Reply with quote

Whenever I try to open various documents that I try to download, I don't know the file names except dll but it happens often the text is garbled and I want to know if there is a product that I can obtain that will unscrabble garbled text.
Thank you
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason why you should be editing a .dll file. They are binary (human unreadable) files that make your system work. Edit them will break your system.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
bobkupferer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Garbled Text Reply with quote

I am having this problem on almost all text files that I try to open,
I mentioned dll because it happened to me on this type file.
Isn't there some kind of editor that will allow me to open random files
without getting "Garbled Text"?
Thank You
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Garbled Text Reply with quote

bobkupferer wrote:
I am having this problem on almost all text files that I try to open,
I mentioned dll because it happened to me on this type file.
Isn't there some kind of editor that will allow me to open random files
without getting "Garbled Text"?
Thank You

Hi Bob,

The quick answer is No. Files are saved in a variety of formats (think of different languages) and either you or the computer typically need to know what format (language) is used and then use the correct piece of software. If you are using Windows you can look at the file extention to figure out what kind of file you have and hopefully figure out what will open it. Some files in machine language you probably cannot get anything readable from at all.

RE file extentions.
In Windows most files have a minimum of two parts xxx.ext. where ext is usually a 3 character identifier that the operating system uses to decide which software to use to try and open the file. Some common extenstions are .odt for an OpenOffice.org Writer document, .pdf for an Adobe Acrobat format, .doc for an MS Word document and .txt for a plain text file. Usually if the .ext is not there the machine will have a problem opening the file.

If, when you're looking at the files in one of your folders, you don't see these extentions try Tools > Folder Options > View and unselect Hide extensions to see the file types. This helps cut down on your guesswork even if it does not necessarily help the computer.

In some cases where you don't know what the file extention is (someone forgot it or did not supply it for some valid reason) there is a chance that the file is a 'text' file. In that case you may be able to open it from within a text editor like Notepat which should be installed on your computer if you're using Windows.

There is a chance that one kind of software will open (translate) a file created with another software. For example you can open Word documents, which should have a .doc extention from within OOo. So if nothing else works try doing a File >Open from within a text editor or OOo, etc and see what happens.

Best of luck.
bobkupferer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Garbled Text Reply with quote

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain my problem for me.
I really appreciate your help.
bobk
acknak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common source of problems with getting a document from the web is knowing where the file is saved. Another is getting your system to connect the downloaded document to the correct application.

Let me give you an example so that you can see how it works.

Go to this page: http://www.ed.gov/admins/comm/parents/pntinv.html (just a random page; the first one I found with a document for download).

Find where it says
Quote:
Resources
A Parent's Guide — to Understanding the State Accountability Workbook (April 2007)
download files PDF (772 K) | MS Word (66 K)

The two links give you the same document in two different file formats: PDF format and MS Word (".doc") format. The PDF document cannot be opened by OOo; the .doc document can be. So we want to download the MS Word .doc document and open it with OOo.

Now, mouse over the "MS Word" link, then right-click and choose "Save Target" (something like that; the exact wording depends on what browser you're using).

In the "File Save" window that opens, make sure the location is your "Desktop"--you may need to click on that at the left. The file name should be supplied for you as "aparentguide". Click OK.

You should see a new icon on you computer desktop.

Now start OOo. Use File > Open, navigate to the desktop; you should see the "aparentguide" file now, then select it and OK. OOo should open the document.

Were you able to do that? If so, then you have a working example to follow. If not, explain exactly what happened and where it went wrong and maybe we can suggest a solution.
bobkupferer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Garbled Text Reply with quote

I went to the site and downloaded the word document to my desktop and it opened just fine and readable.
Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: