OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Header and reference questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Header and reference questions Reply with quote

I just searched the forums and I haven't found the answer to my specific question:

I want the chapter title in the header on every page. How do I do this? Do I need to create a page style for every chapter and then set a reference from the title of the header and put it in the header? Is there an easier way?

I also have a question on references. I have allot of cross references in my document. I.E. see section 6.3.2 - Section name. As I have done it I have manually set OO references to the headers I reference to and then include the reference section and name. Is there no way of making OO automatically set up the references so I can just include them when I need them.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter in Header.
Assuming you are using the Heading 1 paragraph style for your chapter headings then do Insert > Fields > Other (or Crtl+F2) > Document tab. Select "Chapter" on the left and your preference on the right. You do not need an additional page style per chapter.

References.
Unfortunately OO does not automatically set these up for chapters and subchapters as it does for captions. Maybe in the future.
deepthink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Worked perfectly.

It would be great if OO could set chapter references automaticlly. Is there a feature request page where I can post it. I would also like an automatic glossary function. But maybe I can do that if I configure an alphabetical index differently.

/Alexander
jenpc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is already a feature request for making it easier to cross-reference headings. The issue is listed at http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=25072 and you can vote for it.

Iannz has written a nifty macro that can be used until the Writer change has been made. It's available at http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/ and is called OutlineCrossRef3.sxw. It's also listed at http://ooomacros.org/user.php as Heading Cross Referencer. When you use this macro, it has a dialog box that lists all your headings, and you just choose the one that you want to insert a reference to. So you don't need to manually define a reference to it first.

Jennifer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: