OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Making and printing Posters from OpenOffice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleblanc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Making and printing Posters from OpenOffice? Reply with quote

Hey, I'm new to this forum - but it seems prettty cool.

I'm wondering how to print to poster sized paper?

Background:
I use OpenOffice 1.0.2 on a Linux machine at work. I had to make a poster, and didn't want to use CorelDraw again (I find it VERY flaky for printing large files). I also wanted to be able to do it in Linux, and have it portable. I decided to use OpenOfiice Draw. As it turned out, it was very capable of handling all of my needs (lots of large encapsulated postscript figures and png images).

I also looked at the QT program Scribus, which is great at making PDFs, but seems to rasterize the EPS figures.

Problem:
I noticed that the maximum paper width is 120 cm (for the "custom" papersize). This isn't nearly big enough for making large posters (I was aiming for 90cm height, and 240 cm length). I simply used Legal papersize, in landscape mode. I sent the postscript to the HP large format printer, which scaled it to the width of the paper (36 inch roll). It worked, but its kind of a hack.

So my question is, Is there an existing way to print to get a much larger custom page size? Is this something I should make a feature request for?

PS: Openoffice was the most robust program I have tried so far (for printing to postscript), for this kind of thing (of course, powerpoint is NOT an option). It handled the eps figures like a champ! Keep up the good work guys!

Thanks,
Chris
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I'm not mistaken A1 paper is bigger than 90x240

and printing to A1 paper is supported, even A0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cleblanc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response,

I just quickly checked the paper sizes you mentioned (A0 and A1). A0 seems to be 84.1 x 118.9 cm, while A1 is 59.4 x 84.1 cm.

Its nice to see that poster sizes are supported, but it would be great to have a (much) greater width than 120 cm, for the custom page size.

I think I will make a feature request.
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

np, I will see if I can find some other things
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dcarrera
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider tyring out the GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org

GIMP can handle any size poster you want. Now, notice that the GIMP and Draw are very different programs. GIMP is a raster program, Draw is a vector graphics program.
bhorst
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Making and printing Posters from OpenOffice? Reply with quote

cleblanc wrote:

Problem:
I noticed that the maximum paper width is 120 cm (for the "custom" papersize). This isn't nearly big enough for making large posters (I was aiming for 90cm height, and 240 cm length). I simply used Legal papersize, in landscape mode. I sent the postscript to the HP large format printer, which scaled it to the width of the paper (36 inch roll). It worked, but its kind of a hack.

Chris,
I know you describe this technique as a hack, but when I was making a lot of large format posters on the plotter, we would often use the very same method. If you scale up by 100%, for example, you get very good results. We would do this with Photoshop, ArcGIS, Acrobat and AutoCAD. Even the head of the IT department recommended using the scaling-in-plotter technique for many situations.

Not that I feel this is a complete solution for your issue, but it may be worth knowing that it's common practice among large format plotter users.

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartgymnast wrote:
if I'm not mistaken A1 paper is bigger than 90x240

and printing to A1 paper is supported, even A0

and is it possible to print lager than A0?
mclien

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to print a scalc document wich is wider than A0 (1189mm) is this possible, or do I have to make a feature request?
donthaveone

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: printing oversized posters Reply with quote

I am also having this problem. For my project I can save as PDF or print to a converting program (kinkos weborder), but OO has a rather severe limit on the size page I can create. Anyone know a PDF program that can handle large pages?
lukiluc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me...

I need to make some historical planks which are 29.7cm high (one A4) and several metres long ! Impossible ?
helmerj
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleblanc wrote:
Thanks for the response,

I just quickly checked the paper sizes you mentioned (A0 and A1). A0 seems to be 84.1 x 118.9 cm, while A1 is 59.4 x 84.1 cm.

Its nice to see that poster sizes are supported, but it would be great to have a (much) greater width than 120 cm, for the custom page size.

I think I will make a feature request.

I have fired up inkscape, a vector program running under windows and linux and there you can create custom page sizes. They even have the unit in meters and I was able to set it to 3 meters wide and 1 meter high. So it should be possible to achieve what you want. Inkscape has some nice features and is a true vector program like Adobe Illustrator. You can export to svg, bitmap and pdf formats.

http://www.inkscape.org/

-----------from their website-----------
Inkscape is an Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw, or Xara X using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. Supported SVG features include shapes, paths, text, markers, clones, alpha blending, transforms, gradients, patterns, and grouping. Inkscape also supports Creative Commons meta-data, node editing, layers, complex path operations, bitmap tracing, text-on-path, flowed text, direct XML editing, and more. It imports formats such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and others and exports PNG as well as multiple vector-based formats.
Inkscape's main goal is to create a powerful and convenient drawing tool fully compliant with XML, SVG, and CSS standards. We also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development process, and by making sure Inkcape is easy to learn, to use, and to extend.

-------------
Hope this helps.

Juergen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: