OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Mail Merge: "automatically inserted blank pages"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xoebe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Mail Merge: "automatically inserted blank pages" Reply with quote

OK, please forgive me if this topic has been covered before. I checked the stickies, did a forum search, did a Google Search, and of course, I have checked the Open Office help.

I am using Open Office 2.3 under Windows XP.

I have a very simple 8.5 x 11 document that has an address format on it. The address fields are linked to an Excel compatible Open Office spreadsheet. The fields are simple:

<First Name> <Last Name>
<Company Name>
<Street Address>
<City>, <State> <Zip Code>

There are about 200 addresses I am using right now.

When I go to print, I get the option to print a "form letter" which accomplishes the database merge very nicely. It's a little slow, but no big, it's still way better than doing it manually. I then get the option to print to file vs. print to printer. I have not tried to use the print to printer option, I always use Print to file.

The problem occurs when I tried to print that file. There was a blank page between every written page, and I could not see the blank pages at all. Only after some investigation did I find that I could see the blank pages when I used the "Page Preview" under the File Menu.

I was able to disable the printer from printing the blank pages, as the printer (actually I used several different ones, they all have this option) has an option to disable "Print automatically inserted blank pages".

This worked alright, but what I would REALLY like to do is to get rid of the blank pages to begin with! I can find nothing on this. Anyone? Thanks in advance.
Xoebe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, not to bump my own thread, but it looks like this may be the problem:

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=47111

I'll take a stab at it.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blank pages occur when you mail merge a document with an odd number of pages. This macro will solve your problem by doubling the size of the document so you always have and even number of pages.
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=29291&highlight=mail+merge
Xoebe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thank you.

Since my post, I ran across a couple of obscure forums/pages that suggested to others with the same problem that they create a second page - a right handed page to complement the original single left page. Inserting the "Next Record " field at the beginning of the second page refreshes the fields, and you wind up with Left-Right-Left-Right...and no blank pages.

I'll give the macro a whirl. Thanks again!
natasa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: have an extra page when there is even number of pages Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am experiening this same issue (on a letter to customers, XP, OO2.3.1). I am using the workaround of having left and right page and "next record" insertion on the 2nd page. However, now when I have odd number of records the last page is junk (text of the letter + recepient fields are empty).

Anybody has ideas on how to programmatically get rid of the last (junk) page?

(<rant>.... We had this doc in MSWord, but thought we would switch to Oofice. Writer opened the MS document easy, and it was really easy to setup the database fields. It all seemed wonderful! Then I fiddled with conditional fields and hidden paragraphs and they weren't too bad.

However, this blank page issue is not very nice and it has been around for quite a while - 2 years at least. The workarounds are also not elegant - having to create 2 pages.

Also I have had issue with database disconnecting all the time. I have set the timeout to 600 seconds, but it will still often break connection within few minutes, and I cannot get it back unless I restart the machine - all the other applications keep the connection just fine.

Anyhow, am I allowed to complain about the Open Office if I am not volunteering my time to fix it? Wink

Thanks for listening...<end of rant> )

... Natasa ...
John Talbut
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that I just found to work- select the whole document, copy it (Ctrl+c) and then paste it in on itself (Ctrl+v). Hey presto, all the blank pages were gone.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Tools---Options--->Openoffice.org---->Writer---->Print and uncheck the box that says "Print Automatically inserted blank pages". This is in V3 and I believe in V2.4 also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: