OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Word count by Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackheart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Word count by Style Reply with quote

I've put together a quick template for my academic essays, and have set up the styles I'll want to use. Text body is going to be used for the body of the essay, essentially everything I want to include in my word count (Unnecessarily wordy titles, footnotes and the bibliography aren't included). Is it possible to display the word count for just this style in a field at the bottom of the essay? I have found it possible to count absolutely everything, but that's not really ideal. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks guys.
Anthony Brunning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Word Count Reply with quote

I am interested in exactly the same facility.
At present I select the text to be counted (which may include headings styles). Till now this has been fine but now I need to include footnotes in the word count so a means (macro perhaps) is needed to count the words in the footnotes all formatted with a footnote style.
Any help to resolve this would be appreciated.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can count words by paragraph style but not necessarily get that count in a field without manually editing the field.

Do Find & Replace, click More Option, check Search for Styles, set the style you want to find and click Find All. Now when you do Tools > Word Count the number of words will be in Current Selection.

Does this help?
blackheart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wanting to do it automagically if at all possible, and I figure it should be easy enough to fiddle with the innards of OpenOffice.
Any guidance on editing the field anyone?
Anthony Brunning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you JohnV for your suggestion. It will certainly help particularly with footnotes. However when I tried the method with footnotes I noticed that if a footnote continued onto the next page when FindAll was applied, the footnotes were all selected but also the footer of the page and header of the next page when the footnote continued on the next page. Is there a way around this?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Brunning wrote:
However when I tried the method with footnotes I noticed that if a footnote continued onto the next page when FindAll was applied, the footnotes were all selected but also the footer of the page and header of the next page when the footnote continued on the next page. Is there a way around this?

It doesn't matter. It is just a visual glitch. They are not included in the word count. Type a longer header and you will see that it makes no difference to the count.
Anthony Brunning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bhikkhu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: