OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

delete recent documents (from list) (delete traces)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taxidirk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: delete recent documents (from list) (delete traces) Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried to find imormation about this topic, but I can't.

I like to delete a document I recently woked on from the list of the recent documents, so that no one can see, witch documents I worked on. (Despite I deleted the document and emptied the recycle bin, the document comes up, if I click on it in the list of recent documents)

Is there a function like in the Internet explorer "delete history"?

Regards, Dirk.
flaxthejute
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The information regarding recent files is in a file called common.xcu. On my system (winxp) this is here
Code:
 C:\Documents and Settings\Flax\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\registry\data\org\openoffice\Office\Common.xcu.

If you rename or delete this file, the recent file list will be empty. A brave soul could probably write an editor...

Flax
probe1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a macro for the job on ooomacros:

Recent Files List Changer

Author: Danny Brewer
This is a pair of macros embedded in a Draw document. The size of the recent files list can be simply altered (up to a maximum of 100), or the list can be cleared, simply by clicking the buttons in the document.

Latest release: December 30, 2003
DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
taxidirk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried both, the macro dos'nt work (may be is only for the Linux Version), and the other thing I cannot find....

Dirk.
probe1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the macro is too old (2003) and things have changed... (has nothing to do with Linux: macro is altering OOo configuration)

The settings file is somewhere in your OOo user data path; if you are on windows, do a file search for Common.xcu on C: drive.

I'll have a look at the macro later this week....
hhaa22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem.

I just downloaded/installed openoffice today, and noticed that there was no option to clear recent documents...Which seems ridiculous to me, that you'd have to download a macro to erase the history. Anyone know WHY they made it this way to begin with?

Anyway, I also tried the macro, and it doesn't work.

Furthermore, I tried erasing common.xcu (there were actually two instances of it, I killed them both not being sure which was the right one, figuring I'd uninstall/reinstall if I screwed up the program).

This didn't clear the recent document history, either.

Or rather, let me amend that.

The first time I did it, it may have. I don't know if that was a result of deleting the file, or if the clear history part of the macro DOES work, and that's what did it.

However, I wanted to see if it would just rebuild the file and start keeping the history again so I opened a bunch of documents, and sure enough, my recent doc history began to fill again.

For some reason (I forget why exactly) I completely uninstalled/reinstalled open office, opened some documents to fill the history, and deleted both common.xcu files.

This time, this DID NOT clear the recent document history.

I gotta say it really bugs me that clearing/choosing not to keep a recent doc history isn't a built-feature, though. I mean, that's nuts. You don't necessarily want other people to be able to see what you've been working on. And the majority of programs that keep a history give you the option of not keeping, or at least clearing it.

If anyone knows how to permanently prevent openoffice 2.3 from keeping a history, preferably in a one-shot-one-kill manner, not by having to manually delete or edit a file each time I use it, please let me know. Thank you.

I
flaxthejute
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=262203 gives a couple of solutions. The most elegant (if you share your computer with less-literate users than yourself) would seem to be using Tools->Customise to remove the recent document list from the File menu.

You could also download the add-on described in the thread. That also works, but you have to close OOo and re-open it to actually see this.

Oh, and did you shut down OOo before you deleted common.xcu? That might make a difference...

Flax
probe1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macro does the job. There is no feed back the macro run, or did actually work.

I've tested the latest version:
Documents/DannyB/Examples/ConfigurationMgr/ wrote:
RecentFilesListChanger-2003-12-30-01.sxd 11 KB 2003-12-30 18:10:00

downloaded from sourceforge with OOo 2.3.0 / Linux.

Macro sets the number of elements in RFL to zero.
Because of the setting is cached to memory on OOo start - you have to close OOo including quick starter to take effect.
jwr
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probe1 wrote:

I've tested the latest version:
Documents/DannyB/Examples/ConfigurationMgr/ wrote:
RecentFilesListChanger-2003-12-30-01.sxd 11 KB 2003-12-30 18:10:00

I also tested the macro downloaded from:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/DE:_PrOOo-Box_projektbezogene_Software
and selecting the download site:
http://www.ooomacros.org/user.php#100070

The Macro documents a latest release-date: December 30, 2003
(but it must have been "checked" at: 20.09.2007)

I tested modification of the number of recently opened files and a reset of entries.
I did stop the quickstarter and OOo-tools, but OOo still displays a full list of
recently opened files.

-> The macro does not work for my configuration: Windows 2000 & OOo 2.3.
Maybe the macro is working in non-MS-environments.

Regards -Hans-
Wandering
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just open a series of documents as long as the list you want to clear. Make a trivial change in each, undo it, and save again. Then move on, till it's off you list. A pain, perhaps, but reasonably easy.

Otherwise wait a few days or weeks, and normal use will push it off.

Maybe this will help till you find a better way.
hhaa22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up not actually needing to use open office, so I'm no longer very concerned about this issue. But if I ever need a suite of such programs in the future I'll likely give it another look.

Just to confirm what jwr said, I also tested the macro which is supposed to clear/set the number of recent documents to keep, and it didn't work for me either under windows xp sp2. Perhaps it's under linux that people are having success with it?

I do hope in the future that the option to delete/not keep a list of recent documents is integrated into the program. Really a necessity for a lot of people.

Anyway, I mainly just wanted to reply in order to thank those people who took the time to suggest some solutions. So, thank you 'Smile'
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article "Delete the recent document list" is a howto guide with three methods. There are a few differences detailed there
1. If you delete common.xcu, you should also delete the corresponding cache file
2. The macro from 2003 is updated as an extension which is easier to download, and it works in OOo 3.0
3. There is a tool called BleachBit which easily wipes the OOo documents history as well as ~20 other things
* BleachBit
</signature>
levallon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Delete Recent Documents Reply with quote

I tried History Master, Bleachbit, macros, and deleting the file manually, and none of it worked. I'm using OOo 3.3 on Windows XP3. Here's what did work:

1. Go to My Computer. At the top of the screen click Tools, then Folder Options, then View.

2. Under Hidden Files and Setings, click ChowHidden Files and Folders, then Apply, then OK.

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\user. If there is a file that says 'My Recent Documents,' delete it. It will come back and you will have to clear again over time, but it works.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levallon: There are two places this history is stored depending how you open each file. If you open it through Windows Explorer, then it is stored in the place you describe, and BleachBit has a cleaner just for that: look for Windows Explorer.

Any way you open it, it is also stored in OpenOffice.org's MRU: the cleaner in BleachBit for that is called OpenOffice.org.
* BleachBit
</signature>
nickieyes1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: HOW TO CLEAR RECENT DOCUMENTS Reply with quote

IAfter researching tis for sometime now with no easy solution, the easiest way if you don't mind not having a recent documents list is to go to TOOLS | CUSTOMIZE and under MENU CONTENT click on recent documentsthen over to the right click on MODIFY then DELETE..

Works every time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: