OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

SOLVED How to convert Corel Quattro Pro .qpw?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0c0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: SOLVED How to convert Corel Quattro Pro .qpw? Reply with quote

A user needs to move a few thousand (small) spreadsheets from her old machine where they are in QUattro Pro Corel 9 (.qpw) format to OOo Calc format.

Is there any automagical way to do this? Or a plugin or extension to let Calc read them? Her OOo 2.2 seems to be able to do QP 6, but nothing later...

Last edited by d0c0 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
d0c0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Or, how about... Reply with quote

Someone said he thought Excel could read .qpw files - I don't know, I haven't looked hard at Excel since Excel 97. But, supposing it could, who knows if (and if so, how) it's possible to command-line Excel to read a .qpw and write a .xls? Seems to me that if it can, that would offer a work-around, as we could run all the .qpw's through an Excel and have .xls that we can read with OOo... no?
Windrider6
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: .qpw to OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

I too used to use Quattro Pro (as well as WordPerfect), and would like to request an import filter for Calc to load Quattro Pro's .qpw files.
• Bruce A. Johnson in Hardisty, Alberta, Canada
bruce73

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this request.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO THE DEVELOPERS!
Write an import filter for every freaking proprietary file format of computing history, so we can do what we want without any consequences.

Quote:
- I don't know, I haven't looked hard at Excel since Excel 97.

... and do not even have to look so hard at any potential solutions.

COME ON EVERYBODY!

ALL TOGETHER NOW ...

At any cost, since we already payed for the other software.
Windrider6
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villeroy: Your post appears to be sarcasm, and suggests that we have not looked for a viable solution.

At the moment, the only way to convert QPW files to OOo Calc, is to install Quattro Pro, save out the files from Quattro in Excel format (or an ancient Quattro format), then import into Calc.

I don't like this method for two reasons:

1) For hundreds of files, this is a tedious process.

2) I don't want to install Quattro Pro on my new computer, only to uninstall it again.

The developers created an import filter for Writer to import WordPerfect files. It's not too much to ask that they do the same for Calc to import Quattro Pro files. Quattro Pro and WordPerfect have been sold and used together for a very long time, so it is reasonable to expect/request such an import filter.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am cynical. Typing "qpw" into this forum's search facility gives 16 threads plus this one. Rather few from my point of view. Searching for brand new xlsx OR docx (both were unsupported until recently) yields 191 matches, most of them with some solution for the 2.x version (use this or use that program as converter or upgrade to v3). Online-converters are one frequently mentioned solution. I just had a quick look at one of them: http://zamzar.com/conversionTypes.php
No, it does not know about qpw.

Borrowed from the new forum:
Quote:
This is a user to user forum, not a source of paid support. There are no customer service people or software developers here. We are here to help each other use OOo effectively, not to take your complaints.

You may discuss problems or suggestions here, just be aware that this is all unofficial. If you want to report a bug or suggestion to the developers, please do it on the Issue Tracker, see that thread : Reporting bugs or suggestions.

If some issue is unclear, occurs under certain circumstances only or if you simply run your head against it, then this is one of the good places to discuss the issue with other users before you file a new issue to the developers, vote for an issue, find a workaround or solution with the help of other users.

Complaining here about obviously missing features just as good as shouting at your wallpaper.

These issues collect votes for *.wb2":
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=64403
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=64403
I did not find a single issue with "qpw" or "quattro", so this file format is non-existent for the developers.
Seems to be rather exotic or I made some mistake when searching.
You can't compare it with Word Perfect, which is a very wide spread file format.

Anyhow, realize that there is not any other software able to help millions (billions?) of computer users all over the world to get out of the file-format trap they got into by using undocumented, proprietary file formats over decades.
The single point which makes this software so important is it's own well documented, standardized and free by any means file format for office documents.

And notice that this software developers struggle with doc, xls and ppt since more than a decade. Just to give you an impression what it takes to decypher a complex, binary file format without any support from it's vendor while d0c0 is too dumb and too lazy (or anti-social?) to borrow a computer with Excel and a CD burner installed.
Windrider6
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villeroy:

1) .QPW file format has been in use since at least 2003. This is before OOo developers created the import filter for the .WP2 file format. Anyone who has bought Quattro Pro since then, have .QPW files. Dell supplied their PCs with Quattro Pro and WordPerfect for years, and people naturally used these programs. Thus, this file format is only obscure to you, while many businesses are still stuck with using Quattro Pro, because there is no easy way to convert the files.

2) QA Issue 64403 is a duplicate of Issue 5460, and the fact that the developers have not noticed this for the 3 years that 64403 has existed, indicates to me that they are not paying much attention to either issue. I have followed both of these issue for awhile, but hadn't posted to them (until now), because I figured that it wouldn't make a difference. When you search the Internet for a solution to this problem, these QA issues don't show up in the search results, but posts in this forum do. Thus, I assume more people view (and are aware of), posts in this forum than they do of the QA issues. That is why I posted here about the problem. Other people post here, because they are not aware of the QA Issues.
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=5460 - Started 2002-May-31
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=64403 - Started 2006-Apr-14

You are in error with two of your points: Issue 64403 addresses the .WP3 and .QPW formats, not the .WP2 format. By reading both of the issues, it is clear from the comments that the .QPW format is known. Now, as for whether the developers are paying attention, that is another story.

3) I agree that OOo is important and very useful in that it uses open document file formats. That is why I switched to OOo. If OOo had been available in 1993 when I got my first PC with Borland Office, I would have used OOo instead. It wasn't, and now I, as well as all others who chose other programs other than Microsoft, are stuck.

4) Your comment about d0c0 being "too dumb and too lazy (or anti-social?) to borrow a computer with Excel and a CD burner installed", is out of line on a couple of levels. First, you clearly show that you are the anti-social one. Second, you ignore the fact that d0c0, and many others, have hundreds or thousands of files to convert, and your "solution" is unrealistic. Not to mention the possibility of corruption of the spreadsheets as they get converted from .QPW to .XLS to .ODS.

Villeroy, if you have something positive to contribute, like a real, useful solution, I and everyone else would like to hear it. So far, though, your posts in this thread are not very useful, and are insulting. More of the same are not going to endear you to anyone.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windrider6 wrote:

Villeroy, if you have something positive to contribute, like a real, useful solution, I and everyone else would like to hear it.

Sir, Villeroy has contribute much to this forum by helping others. That is simple to verify by browsing his archived posts, or simply counting them. Browsing would indicate the high quality of those posts. How much positive input have you given?

I am positive that openOffice will not translate QPW files in general to Calc format. So the answer is, "No." If you know of ANY software that will, please let us know. We are users like yourself, no more, no less. So, you are indeed shouting at wallpaper with your requests and comments. As pointed out, a search can be done easily to verify that as well. We are just users, not servants. Your positive input would be valued.

I personally redid ALL of my spreadsheets, often improving on them as I did. I never, ever counted on any software to do my bidding, but merely accepted it for its worth. When people accept the fact that, however free, OpenOffice is not merely a translator for other file formats, but is a great office suite in and of itself, they will fare much better. That is, start with OpenOffice, use Open Office, end with OpenOffice, and there will be far less frustration, far fewer tears.

What would happen if you sent your questions to Corel?

David.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What would happen if you sent your questions to Corel?

They would give a very polite answer why they can not publish their sacred file formats and everybody would fully understand the reasons for this decision.
But nobody understands the economy of open source software nor the enormous technical effort it takes to decipher a binary file format and load the resulting document model into a different software.
Somhow they believe that free software is outside of the economic gravity field so i'ts enough to shout and nag until some humanoid sits down for some days and hacks the requested magic code into his computer.
Windrider6
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

Sir, Villeroy has contribute much to this forum by helping others. That is simple to verify by browsing his archived posts, or simply counting them. Browsing would indicate the high quality of those posts. How much positive input have you given?

I don't doubt that Villeroy probably has contributed a lot, but his posts in this thread has been my introduction to him. In this thread, I see a bad attitude, and an insult.

I just joined this forum, and my first post was met with this bad attitude. Now someone else stands up for this user who has been offensive in this thread.

I'm sorry you believe that my request was "shouting at wallpaper". Like I said, I asked for help with the issue in the forum because the developers didn't seem to be paying attention to the issue. Also, the beauty of open software is that users can contribute to the programming if they have the skills. I had hoped such users existed in the forum. I'm sorry that I don't have the programming skills to solve the problem myself.

David wrote:

I personally redid ALL of my spreadsheets, often improving on them as I did.

Good for you. How long did it take to redo all your thousands of spreadsheets? Some people don't have that time.

As for how much positive input I have given, well, I just joined the forum. The reception I have received has been negative. If bad attitudes and insulting posts are accepted and defended, no matter the user, then this is a forum I don't want to participate in.

We'll never know if I could have helped people in this forum. Good-bye.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed. Meanwhile I'm totally pissed by unsubstancial demands. Wrong addressee, wrong place, wrong expectations.
What do you expect the users to do for you what the developers can't? Compassion? Try the subforum for general discussion.

At some point of time you prefered a certain proprietary software and now you expect OpenOffice.org to take responsibility for your decision. The companies let you alone since obfuscated file formats are an important part of their busines model.

It is technically and economically impossible to implement filters for each and every proprietary file format, particularly if the developers get zero input about the problem.

Every possible workaround has been discussed over the limit. Stick with your old software or use any appropriate software to convert into ODF, which is free by any means and can be used at will by any software as long as ASCII encoding and the zip-algorithm are part of our civilisation. Not even the political campaign of a big player will remove this file format from earth: http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2009061001520015
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windrider6 wrote:
[We'll never know if I could have helped people in this forum. Good-bye.

Oh, I think you gave us a pretty good idea about that. As the old saying goes, "If you want to change the world, change yourself." Look at the fundamental problem in your original query: You say proprietary and expensive Quattro Pro can't do it. You say, you don't know if proprietary and expensive Excel can do it [it can't and they are not interested], but you expect ["QPW file format has been in use since at least 2003. This is before OOo developers created the import filter for the .WP2 file format....blah blah blah..] free Open Office to do it. Then you come here, where there are no developers, just users like you, do no search for a similar discussion [it has happened too often], and expect service from the developers of free software not available from others. Define "polite". This is an office suite, not a translator.

David.
d0c0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Two and a half years later... Reply with quote

... I come back to this thread by accident - okay, not by accident, but as a result of a search engine link - and find that in the meantime nothing is revealed.

The take on the part of the Super Users seems to be that those who are looking to see if anyone knows of a solution to a problem are actually begging for the developers to drop everything and work on that problem instead.

The issue here is not one of free-loading and whining for more welfare. The issue is that someone has hundreds of files that (seemingly) cannot be opened by OOo Calc (and can't be opened and re-saved on a non-existent old computer), and has looked for a converter and not found it, is simply asking a group that is self-described as a community of users whether anyone knows of a way to batch-convert these files.

Someone mentioned the fact that Dell had a WP "office" solution pre-installed, and that is exactly the case this time - a lady with a small business who used her Dell's QuattroPro for invoices, statements, amortization schedules, inventory, and some other things. The Dell died, but she had all her data backed up and it got put on her new computer (hey, it happens occasionally).

Note that it was not specified that the way should be FREE, only if anyone knows of a way, at all. She doesn't particularly mind paying for a conversion program, if such exists - as long as it will convert the .qpws to something that OOo will read, in a batch.

Yes, you're right, she could get a copy of WP/QP and open/save them one at a time... hell, for all I know QP can be made to convert with command-line switches, so it would be possible to fairly quickly create a big-ass batch/script from a directory listing. Tell you what - that possibility's the next thing on my list, if no one has a better idea here.

I'm guessing that since the link to this thread popped up on the first page of a google search, the answer is still no. But is it? If you've got a rational way (by which I mean NOT one-at-a-time), let's see it!

In the meantime... if I do find a way, I'll come back here and post it for anyone who is interested.

Thanks - d0c0
d0c0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: FOUND IT. Reply with quote

If you have a copy of Quattro Pro available, take all your .qpw files to it, and here's a macro for QP that will batch convert all the files in a given directory:

http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6505
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: