OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Protected sections within a table?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SethJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Protected sections within a table? Reply with quote

I am trying to create two parallel sections that are read only and work accross page breaks. Both columns need to be contiguous and protected (and contain input fields).

If I create a section with two columns the text from the right column begins flowing into the left margin after a page break.

If I create a table with two columns and insert a section into each column, I can only create a 1 page document because when I hit ENTER within the section it never expands the table and goes to the next page.

I also tried a text frame, but the protect/unprotect features were dificult to access and did not support a password.

I have searched the other posts and not found a solution, any help you can provide will be much appreciated. I have solved every other problem in our MS Word conversion except this one!

I am using OO 2.3 on Windows XP.

Thanks!
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SethJohnson wrote:
If I create a table with two columns and insert a section into each column, I can only create a 1 page document because when I hit ENTER within the section it never expands the table and goes to the next page.

Is there a particular reason you want two parallel sections? Why not set up each column the way you want and create a single section of the whole table?

(I agree that the column behavior is buggy when you insert a section for each. Even when the text flow in the table properties are set to allow the table and the table row to break across pages, and even when you set up the entire content of each column first, when you create a section in the column, the row no longer breaks correctly across a page.) You'll need a paragraph before and a paragraph after the table, click in front of one of those paragraphs and drag to select the table---then you'll be able to insert a section.

But if that isn't useful for you, perhaps you could describe in a little more detail what exactly you're trying to accomplish.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a particular reason you want two parallel sections? Why not set up each column the way you want and create a single section of the whole table?
That seems to work for me.

I inserted a section and within it inserted a one row, two column table. I tapped Enter until the table and section appeared on page two. I wrote some text there and inserted an Input Field. I then protected the section. The text is protected but the input field can be changed with either a click or Ctrl+Shift+F9.
SethJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! That is the solution, create one section and then embed the table within it. I thank you foxcole! As an aside, this is a legal document in which the left column describes the sections within the right column. As long as the whold doc is protected I am not concerned about having a separate section for each column. When I imported it from Word it set it up with many sections that all ran together, but with this solution I have the key to the problem.

Thanks again,

Seth
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there's always the spreadsheet, which can contain either text or formulas, and which has many such uses [and limitations.] Smile

One advantage the word processor has [had] over the spreadsheet was the capability to columnarise in other than fixed columns for the length of a page. You could change the number of columns in the next section, or have a good choice of column styles. I hate to add this, but WordPerfect did this perfectly well with all of its column options. It can be a job of work trying to set it up, but it can be done.

Back to the spreadsheet: If only two columns, you can set it up to do what you want, I think.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: