OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Need help now!! (Christmas cards in peril)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watcher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Need help now!! (Christmas cards in peril) Reply with quote

I need to know how to make OO divide the page into four pages and I need to know NOW!!!

Long story short. I made our Christmas cards using an old version of WordPerfect. The computer with WP on it died and the new computer will not run my old version of WP. When I tried opening the card in OO the format is wrong.

More info, the card is set up in booklet form. I print four 'pages' on each side of an 8 X 11 then cut the paper in half, fold and glue the pieces.

I also need to know how to put a picture cover the 'page' and to be behind the text.

Can you help save Christmas?
keme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try print preview, select 2x2 view from the multiple pages tool, then print as viewed (the alternate print icon without the hand).

Alternatively, make a 2x2 table in your document, modify row and column sizes to fill the page.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help now!! (Christmas cards in peril) Reply with quote

watcher wrote:
I need to know how to make OO divide the page into four pages and I need to know NOW!!!

Of course. Everybody who asks for help has a problem they need to fix immediately, often for business-related projects, a bit higher priority than Christmas cards. But if you haven't used this forum much, you naturally might not know how responsive other users in this forum are. Smile

watcher wrote:
More info, the card is set up in booklet form. I print four 'pages' on each side of an 8 X 11 then cut the paper in half, fold and glue the pieces.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I get it. You're printing on both sides of the paper, cutting and folding, but you're also gluing it? How exactly are you folding it, just a straight vertical fold? I'm confused... I guess I don't quite understand the layout you need.

watcher wrote:
I also need to know how to put a picture cover the 'page' and to be behind the text.

You saved the easy question for last. Very Happy Cool

Insert your picture, then double-click on it to open the properties editor. In the Wrap tab, choose "Wrap through" and tick the "In background" checkbox.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
watcher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help now!! (Christmas cards in peril) Reply with quote

[quote="foxcole"]
watcher wrote:

foxcole wrote:
Of course. Everybody who asks for help has a problem they need to fix immediately, often for business-related projects, a bit higher priority than Christmas cards. But if you haven't used this forum much, you naturally might not know how responsive other users in this forum are. Smile

Can you explain that to my wife if I can't get these cards printed?

watcher wrote:

foxcole wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I get it. You're printing on both sides of the paper, cutting and folding, but you're also gluing it? How exactly are you folding it, just a straight vertical fold? I'm confused... I guess I don't quite understand the layout you need.

I'll try to explain it. I take an 8X11 and cut it in half giving me two 8X5.5 sheets. Then I fold these so they are 4X5.5. I take one of these put glue on one fold and tuck it into the other. That gives you an 8 page booklet which is the same size as a quarter fold card.

Each full sized piece of paper has 4 'pages' on each side. The front side has pages (from left to right top to bottom) 8, 1, 3 & 6 The back has 2, 7, 4 & 5

watcher wrote:

foxcole wrote:
You saved the easy question for last. Very Happy Cool

I was fairly sure that this wouldn't be a problem.

foxcole wrote:
Insert your picture, then double-click on it to open the properties editor. In the Wrap tab, choose "Wrap through" and tick the "In background" checkbox.

Before I start playing around with it how do I make the pic fit the margins?
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help now!! (Christmas cards in peril) Reply with quote

watcher wrote:
Can you explain that to my wife if I can't get these cards printed?

Sorry, I think you missed the last sentence of that... also the point of it.

watcher wrote:
I'll try to explain it. I take an 8X11 and cut it in half giving me two 8X5.5 sheets. Then I fold these so they are 4X5.5. I take one of these put glue on one fold and tuck it into the other. That gives you an 8 page booklet which is the same size as a quarter fold card.

Each full sized piece of paper has 4 'pages' on each side. The front side has pages (from left to right top to bottom) 8, 1, 3 & 6 The back has 2, 7, 4 & 5

Ah! Thank you, that helps tremendously.

watcher wrote:
Before I start playing around with it how do I make the pic fit the margins?

If you use keme's suggestion to use a table for page layout, the picture will automatically size to fit the table cell. You can also click on the image to select it, then manually resize it by clicking and dragging a corner green handle (holding the Shift key to preserve proportions). You can also change its size in the picture properties editor. Another alternative is to use Draw to size and save the image, if you know the exact dimensions you need.

Regarding using a table layout, if you need to have extra "gutter" space for the glued portion, you might want to insert a table within a table, or you could insert a text frame and position it where you need it. You can insert the picture into the text frame and have it automatically sized to fit, send it to the background as noted earlier, and add your text. Using a table makes it easer to control side-by-side anchors and text positioning.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all sounds a bit complicated to me! I've just about finished my cards, which I also do on a single letter (8.5x11) sheet. I use the brochure option in the printer driver, which prints pages 4 & 1 on the "right" side of the page, and then turn it over into the printer again and print the "left" side, which is pages 2 & 3. It then folds up into a brochure and I have my card picture on the bottom half of page 1, so that folding it again makes a quarter page card - that fits into "Invitation" size envelopes. The text is liberally sprinkled with pictures of grandchildren etc. A final refinement is to have one or more pictures at the top of page 1 but inverted so that they are the right way up when it's a card.

In order to get it to fit on the page you have to adjust the ratio of the sides in format>page. I use width 18.09 cm, height 27.94 cm all margins 2.00 cm and font size 12 in portrait orientation. The actual page size doesn't matter, only the ratio, as the brochure setting automatically scales the output to fit the paper size as specified in the printer perferences - where you have to set landscape orientation. You are printing two portrait pages side by side onto landscape oriented paper. (It's much easier for Europeans and Australians who use A4 paper where the side ratios are the same for a half page as for a full page, and they can use the standard page settings!)

Remember to go into options and uncheck right and check left before printing the second side! (Unless you are lucky enough to have a two sided printer.) Don't confuse preferences, which depend on your printer, with options which are OOo parameters.

If you are interested send me a message with your email and I'll send you a template.
jamaicabraden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest using greeting card builder application for free in the web for an easy creation of cards. or find free templates that you can edit. i've tried it once last year and i've made a card with white christmas trees design and it was just easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: