OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Windows 98SE problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Windows 98SE problems Reply with quote

hello all.

Recently a coworker of mine got an old windows 98se box from work and would like to have an office suite on it. As she doesn't want to spend any money I suggested OpenOffice.org. I've been able to install OOo on her new computer, but it only works under safe mode. Any suggestions on how I can fix this? I don't think she wants to have to press F8 every time she starts up her comp Smile .
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem under Window 98 SE, could she be RAM shy. The system requirement is 64 megs but more is better. If not, I would suggest you try a Repair or remove and install again.
Gabor
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: should work Reply with quote

I have Win 98 with 700MHz CPU and 256 Mb RAM. I can install or repair OOo in safe mode only, but once it is done it works fine in normal mode.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try uninstalling it and then reinstalling in safe mode. I'fe uninstalled and installed and rebooted several times, as well as repaired a couple of times, but never in safe mode. Hope this works.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

argh it didn't work Mad
as far as RAM goes she has 64mb in there. it should be enough, shouldn't it? I mean, it'll be slow, but this is pretty much all she wants the computer for. She doesn't need to run any games or anything on it. Any other ideas?
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

A few questions, to eliminate things.

Were there any error messages during the installation?

How was the uninstall done, via the Windows add\remove programs routine, or via the OpenOffice setup? The latter is definitely recommended.

Before uninstalling again, does it run in safe mode?

On the resources issue, if she simply wants to run say OOo and an alternative browser (say Firefox ) then she could do a lot worse than downloading 98 lite from http://www.litepc.com/download.html and remove internet explorer. When I got it, it was freeware. Now they charge for it, but there is a free lifetime trial version. Also, you can tweak memory settings to stop Windows hogging the lot with cacheman available from www.outertech.com. Both of those may well speed things up.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: