OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Printing to custom/non listed paper sizes (again)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellesAngel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Printing to custom/non listed paper sizes (again) Reply with quote

First post to this board, so hello everyone.

I am trying to print what will become an invitation, folded three times, which gives a long and thin paper size, being 160mm x 470mm. It looks great on OO Writer but won't print as I can't find a suitable paper size and didn't find an answer searching the board.

There are two obvious options: Set a custom paper size that's exactly right, or use a standard size that's close. Setting the paper size to A3 gives me most of the page but not all, the printer won't support A2 and won't print. ISO B3 would be fine, but isn't in the list, how can I get it there? Or how do I set a custom size?

HP claim the printer supports paper up to 610mm long so they say I should be fine, but Word 2002 wouldn't work either. I'm fairly pragmatic and don't need an elegant solution, anything that gets this document printed to the correct size is fine.

Thanks in advance.

OO Writer build 1.9.125.1.2
OS SuSE Linux 10.0
Printer HP Deskjet 6980.
All drivers updated to latest stable versions.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like the maximum setting for both width and height is 300mm and you can set that or any lessor on the User paper size.
HellesAngel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JohnV,

Many thanks for your reply - Which maximum setting are you referring to? HP quote a maximum paper size for this printer of 610mm long and OO Writer does not present this limitation either.

I had an hour long, but fruitless, chat with HP support staff who maintained it is not a driver problem if their printer refuses to print non-standard page sizes and helpfully suggested I re-install Word. At least he gave the impression of caring even though he was unable to offer even a glimmer of hope.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which maximum setting are you referring to?
The ones you can put in for Width and Height at Format > Page > Page tab. However, I think I'm wrong about that - that was as high as I could get the spinner to go but I just put in a height of 20 inches and it seems to work.
TRUETYPIST
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV meant 300 cm (not 300 mm, obviously).
That's quite large (over 118" x 118")...

You can export this large size to PDF, without any problem. Try it.
Can you print it from Acrobat ?
Can you print anything large (from any software that you may have) ?

In the meantime, I 've notice your question:
HellesAngel wrote
Quote:
Or how do I set a custom size?

Format > Page - Select "Page" Tab
Choose your required page size (up to 300x300 cm) Wink
Probably you will need some page margin settings, also.
HellesAngel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I set a custom page size in Writer, now the problem is printing it. Selecting File -> Print -> Properties brings up a dialog with paper sizes but no 'Custom' size and I can't find a standard size that is suitable that will print. The DIN A3 size at 297 × 420mm is close, will print, but is not quite long enough. Other sizes are longer but the printer refuses to print them, I assume as they're too wide to go in the device. Is there any way to specify a 'custom' paper size to the printer? Where does this list come from, Writer or the printer driver?

The same problem appears with Acroread if I export the document as PDF.
TRUETYPIST
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellesAngel wrote:
Quote:
The same problem appears with Acroread if I export the document as PDF.

It's clear that your problem has nothing to do with OpenOffice.

I've checked the printer manual and the only way to print large pages seems to be: using "Banner" mode.
Probably you need to specify "A4 Banner" or "US Letter Banner".
Search the printer manual for this.
HellesAngel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TrueTypist - I figured as much as the 'Print' dialog appears to have much more to do with the printer type, or HP's printer drivers than OpenOffice but the hard part seems to be convincing HP that this is the case. I'm still no closer to figuring out how it is possible to print a document of this dimension although HP's own documentation states that it the printer supports it.

Does anyone know how it other paper sizes can be added to the OpenOffice 'Print' dialog under Linux? It has A0-A6, B4-B6, US Legal, US Letter, Executive, Statement, US Tabloid, Ledger Landscape, US C, US D, US E, ARCH A - ARCH E, some envelope sizes and Folio. These seem to be a fairly random sample of some common paper sizes but nothing that helps me.

Once again many thanks for your help.
HellesAngel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Solved, indirectly but I found a way to do it. Reply with quote

The Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF viewer has a magic button 'Choose paper source from PDF paper size' which seems to do the trick. The printer complains, but prints fine after I manually press the 'Continue' button. Thanks for the hint...

So exporting the document to PDF appears to be a workaround, but it would be nice if OO applications could do this directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: