OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

east asian language support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: east asian language support Reply with quote

hi.
I am posting again as I think my last post didn't make sense.
I am trying to use a western keyboard to write in Kanji (a japanese language script). This is known as IME. I have lookded at the the help menu and added the language support as it is writen in the options > languages. I have also added the language support packs in Ubuntu 7.10.
I know the japanese does work because I can load old MS Word docs that contain the japanese script and they open fine. What I cannot do is get the letters to convert. I have repeatedly done the Paragraph / font thing.. but no luck.
My assumption is that there is some key combination to unlock this feature to work so that I could do something like.
English (I like to east) Japanese script (sushi) where sushi, if desired would convert to kanji. Please help me as this is very frustrating.
Do i need to select some font in order to write? If so which one? and if I don't have it, how can i get it?
Do I need to use a ctrl+shift+space(I know this one sets me back to default formatting) ?

any help or advice is appreciated. I went through IRC and haven't found much on that either.
thanks
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will SCIM and Scim-Anthy not do what you require:

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~apricots/scim-anthy/howto.html
http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~apricots/scim-anthy/howto.html#jp3

You will need a font with all the required characters, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: