OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Copied bitmaps only showing file address not picture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markpeterzan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Copied bitmaps only showing file address not picture Reply with quote

I've been copying stuff from Mozilla Firefox Scrapbook straight into Writer. Pictures were coming up fine. The program crashed (usually when you try to delete an imported table) and when recovered, all the pictures were only showing up the link address of the Scrapbook folder.
Clicking the graphics on/off tab on the top toolbar isn't changing anything.
Is there a quick way to get all the pics to get shown up or do I have to go back and copy every picture individually?
Thanks
markpeterzan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, when I copy pictures individually from Firefox to Writer, they appear as 'graphics x' with no link visible now.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with copying images from any web application into Writer is that usually the images in the HTML are linked images, so what you're pasting into Writer is the link information. Writer will go fetch the images and place them in the document, at which point you can embed them by choosing Edit> Links, selecting all, and clicking Break Link.

Even Scrapbook doesn't break those links. Scrapbook saves a whittled-down version of the web page's source code, links included, so you don't really have unlinked images when you place them in Writer. Once those links are broken, there may be no retrieving them except to go reinsert them.

That said, I remember an old issue that I'm trying to locate, in which the images actually were embedded in the document but for some reason the pointers in the document body were broken. Seems to me there was an easy way to restore those.

Try opening the .odt file with an archive utility such as 7-Zip. You might see a folder labeled Pictures and if so, it should contain some or all of the pictures used in the document. They weill have been given generic names so you can't tell which is which without opening them. Do you have a Pictures folder? If so, what does it contain?

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help?

Copy picture(s) then do Edit > Links > Break Link. This should embed the picture(s) in the file.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Does this help?

Copy picture(s) then do Edit > Links > Break Link. This should embed the picture(s) in the file.

I think the problem is that the images aren't showing up in the file. I'm still looking for the tidbit I remember we discovered, in another thread, about how to get the pointers working correctly for images that were in fact there in the .odt file.... but maybe it's not relevant for this particular problem. We still need to hear whether the pictures are in the .odt or not.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: