OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Autorecover document

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lance kaufman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Autorecover document Reply with quote

Is there a way to examine writer's autorecovery file? My system just crashed and the recovery file gave me only the first paragraph of a 6 page document. My autorecovery is set to save every 15 minutes.

What is really weird is that an impress presentation which was created after the last change to my writer document was fully recovered. Any thoughts would be great.

The autorecovery section of documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0105GS-SettingUpOOo.pdf
states that if "always create a backup" is not checked eirlier versions may be able to be recovered. How does this work?
AlanDavidson
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Autorecover document Reply with quote

lance kaufman wrote:
Is there a way to examine writer's autorecovery file?

Simply do File > Open

then navigate to your backup folder. This folder is specified in Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Paths > Backups

lance kaufman wrote:
My autorecovery is set to save every 15 minutes.

If you think that the recovered file does not contain content that you added in the previous 15 minutes (it sometime happens to me), then open the backup file as above.

lance kaufman wrote:

if "always create a backup" is not checked eirlier versions may be able to be recovered. How does this work?

Hagar l'Horrible seems to be the resident expert on autorecover. But even Hagar gets confused: Wink

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=32454&highlight=autorecover
dwwwllwwwb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Autorecover document Reply with quote

lance kaufman wrote:
Is there a way to examine writer's autorecovery file? My system just crashed and the recovery file gave me only the first paragraph of a 6 page document. My autorecovery is set to save every 15 minutes.

What is really weird is that an impress presentation which was created after the last change to my writer document was fully recovered. Any thoughts would be great.

The autorecovery section of documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0105GS-SettingUpOOo.pdf
states that if "always create a backup" is not checked eirlier versions may be able to be recovered. How does this work?

That is a know bug. Read more about it here:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=92968

Read the following to know what is wrong and where to get your recovery document:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=97049

Cautious: Do not allow/accept the application to recover your document after a crash since it will replace the automatically saved (the good) copy of your document with the corrupted one and you will loose all of your work forever. Set the AutoRecovery on and let it do it's auto-saving job, but when the application crashed, recover the document manually.

The bug is fixed in the latest developer's builds and will be available in the next release of OpenOffice (3.0.1 I imagine).

You can also read the discussion about this bug here:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10604
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good if a e-mail alert for defects like this would be implemented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: