OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

HTML code written in MS Word is badly rendered in Writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincent.leycuras

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: HTML code written in MS Word is badly rendered in Writer Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there any way to prevent Writer from adding a .5cm bottom spacing to all lines and paragraphs in an HTML document that's been created in MS Word? Of course you could object that it's MS Word's fault as ordinary HTML is rendered properly.

I crawled through the forums for half a day to no avail, am I the only one experiencing this?

Seen on Win XP + OO 2.3 and Solaris 8 & 10 + OO 2.3.

Thanks, Vincent.
floris_v

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should just change the paragraph style for plain text. But honestly, you shouldn't edit html in Word, OOo Writer or any other word processor. Use a html editor instead. OOo still only supports html 3.0, which is by now completely outdated. Word seems to be slightly less bad, depending on the version you use, but in my experience it adds a tonne of tagging that you don't need at all, needlessly inflating the html file.
vincent.leycuras

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I perfectly agree with your statements on using Word, or even Writer to edit PDFs, but that's a situation I need to live with. I know how to change the paragraph style by macro but I was hoping there would be a system-wide setting that would do the same trick.

Vincent.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vincent.leycuras wrote:
but that's a situation I need to live with.

Not really. Do you know that 99+% of the time that people redo their projects from scratch they improve along the way? You might not even have to do it from scratch. Import the page(s) into an HTML editor and tweak from there. There are lots of free ones around.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: