OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Why does it take so long to load a simple database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph9876
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Why does it take so long to load a simple database? Reply with quote

And why do I get the feeling that no one has a clue as far as it concerns Base?

Earlier last week I posted a simple question which got over 52 views but not a single comment. Where else can I get an answer for this following problem?

I have a database (in Base, of course) with tables that contain 40,000+ records (each). I programmed a simple form that uses those tables. It seems to be working OK but...

Whenever I open this form, it takes VERY long time for it to be ready for the first entry/display (the Windows hourglass is spinning...). Obviously this is not very convenient or friendly to the user. I would like to cut down that time.

I suspect that the reason for this long time is that upon opening the form, Base tries to load the ALL the records in the tables before displaying the first record... Nice, but unacceptable in my case.

How do I tell Base to start with smaller portion of the database (and load the rest upon demand only)?

Thanks,
Joe
JDHeinzmann
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: I don't know Reply with quote

Okay, Joe,

I will at least post a reply to say that I don't know. But I also am a newbie so I wouldn't know. What I can say is that I have created a database for tracking bottles of wine using MySQL and am trying to build a set of Base forms for accessing it via ODBC. In my database I have a winery table with nearly 12,000 rows and it loads in a couple of seconds. However, when I tie a List Box to that winery table (for the purpose of selecting the right winery for each bottle I enter) the whole thing slows way down. I have not found a solution for that problem yet.

You aren't doing such a thing with your 40,000 rows are you?

MySQL 5.0.45-community-nt, OOo 2.3.1, MySQL ODBC 5.1.5, Windows 6.0 SP1.
kabing
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to your question, either, I'm afraid. But I can give you another forum you can try: The OpenOffice.org Community Forum. The response rate there is higher than here in my experience, although there are good and helpful folks in both forums. (And some folks--like me--frequent both forums)

Base is the newest of the OpenOffice.org components, and as such is the least documented and the least user friendly.

kabing
Joseph9876
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: I don't know Reply with quote

JDHeinzmann wrote:
However, when I tie a List Box to that winery table (for the purpose of selecting the right winery for each bottle I enter) the whole thing slows way down. I have not found a solution for that problem yet.

You aren't doing such a thing with your 40,000 rows are you?

What you describe is exactly my problem. Thank you very much, JDHeinzmann, for solving this mystery.

I now have to find a way to workaround this problem. I guess that the only solution is to tweak the SQL for that ListBox such that it will read only a portion of the table upon load and will "scroll" down upon clicking the listbox.

I noticed that Base itself is doing something similar (when not using a ListBox) upon load: It reads only about 10 records, then when you try to go past that it reads another 10 records.

Any suggestion as to how to go about this?

Thanks again! (and thanks to kabing, too, for providing the link to the more active forum).

Joe

Last edited by Joseph9876 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
JDHeinzmann
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Virtual Listbox Reply with quote

Joe,

Wow, I am so glad I could help! Even though this forum software seems to think I am already a "General User", I really am still a newbie so this is very gratifying. Very Happy

You describe exactly what I wish my ListBox would do. In other database systems, it appears that what we are looking for is called a Virtual ListBox (Google "virtual listbox"). But I have not been able to find such a beast in ooBase. Perhaps someone can help us here. Or maybe we should start another thread specifically on this topic.

I am curious; how were you able to determine that Base loads records only in small chunks?

I am also curious about your work-around. I wonder if it would be useful to me. It sounds like that since you were populating a ListBox with 40,000+ entries, you and I might be trying to do something similar.

Thanks.

Joseph9876
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Listbox Reply with quote

JDHeinzmann wrote:
I am curious; how were you able to determine that Base loads records only in small chunks?

By looking at the status line that shows how many records are in the table that is accessed by the form. It shows only "1 of 11" when I know that there are many more records there... When I click the Next and Prev buttons that "11" number doesn't change - until I am actually trying to go past that magical "11" (to 12) and then it shows "12 of 21", etc.

I haven't found a workaround yet. This Base is costing me lots of time... It is a beautifully implemented system, but there is no reasonable documentation/tutorial. I may actually move to SQL and program the queries and forms using SQL and C++. It is so frustrating to look at such a powerful system helplessly... Sad

Thanks,
Joe
JDHeinzmann
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Similarly frustrated, but sticking with Base Reply with quote

Hi, Joe,

I share your frustrations with how hard it is to learn all this. I have looked at many tutorials, and examples, but I have a really hard time understanding what is going on underneath it all. I think we would all benefit from a well-written "How it Works" document with the basic design philosophy, well-thought-out diagrams and other aids to give us a basic understanding of how Base forms work. Then, I think the examples would make a lot more sense.

Luckily for me, I have no time crunch for learning all this. My database is to track my personal wine cellar, and it takes a long time for wine to mature/go bad, so I have time. I do believe that with enough persistence, I will unlock the door and figure out how to do everything I want without lots of macro programming and the like. So far, everywhere I have pushed in this forum, I have found really nice solutions. It just takes a while. Base appears to be sophisticated and elegant, so I am in for the long haul (or, since this is a hobby, until I lose interest.)

Drew Jensen did give us some nice insight on the subject in this post if you are interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: