OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Executable export

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alitokmen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Executable export Reply with quote

Hello. As an OpenOffice.org user, when I bring my presentations, unfortunately sometimes it becomes hard since I always need OpenOffice.org (and the PPT export is not always "that good")... Is there any possibility for OpenOffice.org to export .exe files, so we can share things with ease?

Thank you...
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are referring to exe files, i suppose you are expecting this facility to work on a Wndows platform Wink I agree, it would be very nice to have a facility for creating self displaying presentations that do not need Ooo installed. Currently, I am using PDF for my presentations, which qyuality wise looks as good as ppt presentations, but obviously lacks transition effects and animated objects. In theory,nowadays, one could walk around with a bootable CD containing a minimal Linux installation and OOo (AND the presentation, obviously) but then, you will not always be allowed to boot a PC nor can you be perfectly sure that the distro will be able to boot and configure itself correctly on the host system.
The Macromedia flash format may come close to it, but a quick test reveals that Flash Export does not retain animations.
alitokmen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
Since you are referring to exe files, i suppose you are expecting this facility to work on a Wndows platform Wink I agree, it would be very nice to have a facility for creating self displaying presentations that do not need Ooo installed. Currently, I am using PDF for my presentations, which qyuality wise looks as good as ppt presentations, but obviously lacks transition effects and animated objects. In theory,nowadays, one could walk around with a bootable CD containing a minimal Linux installation and OOo (AND the presentation, obviously) but then, you will not always be allowed to boot a PC nor can you be perfectly sure that the distro will be able to boot and configure itself correctly on the host system.
The Macromedia flash format may come close to it, but a quick test reveals that Flash Export does not retain animations.

Well, I actually export as SWF, PDF and PPT everytime I take presentations with me... And unfortunately none of these formats can properly be exported :'(

I remember there was an executable exporting mechanism in the old StarOffice... Am I wrong? Is such kind of functionnality somehow planned for OOo?

(PS: actually, when I've said "exe file", I only meant executable. Just like Macromedia Flash, it would be great it for example I could export execs for Mac, Windows or Linux... But mostly Windows, since it is generally what's installed when I go somewhere!!) (and unfortunately people generally don't want to allow me to connect my laptop on their projector... :grr:)

PS II: Today, I've just uninstalled Microsoft Office from my system! We'll see how happy I'll be Very Happy
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarOffice 5.2 used to have an impress player. I probably have a copy on a CD somewhere. Sadly, it needed to be installed on the host machine so that kind of defeated the object. There is, as you are aware, no equivalent of Powerpoint "pack and go" which is a shame.

Unless you are being extremely fancy, it is perfectly possible to do presentations in OOo which translate properly to .ppt, but you have to be careful. OOo teaches you that if nothing else! However, you have to be careful even if you are using powerpoint to run on someone else's machine. If the fonts or versions don't match, problems can await you anyway. As an example of the versions issue, visit the MS Website and see the different powerpoint viewers. As you have unloaded MSO I think you will need one of these as, realistically, if you intend to use a presentation on someone else's machine at the moment it will have to be in ppt. You can then at least see how things will look, and come back here for tips if things don't look right, before presentation day if possible.

Ian
alitokmen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... And, executable export? Is it planned, or more like "not really cared about"?
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.

I thought you meant the equivalent of "pack and go" which enables a powerpoint presentation to be run on a machine that doesn't have it. It would be a nice touch, although I know of no plans for this.

Am I off-mark here?

Ian
alitokmen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liquidator wrote:
Hmmm.

I thought you meant the equivalent of "pack and go" which enables a powerpoint presentation to be run on a machine that doesn't have it. It would be a nice touch, although I know of no plans for this.

Am I off-mark here?

Ian

I know we probably talking about the same things... So at least one other person understands me :p
hm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: this is what you're looking for Reply with quote

http://www.heise.de/software/default.shtml?prg=17965
hm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: or Reply with quote

or go directly to the programmers site

http://www.indeview.org/index_de.html
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks quite interesting.

Have you used it?

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: