OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Writer Is Removing Blank Pages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmryle
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Writer Is Removing Blank Pages Reply with quote

I posted this on the "official" forum. Thought I'd try here too.

I have a document which is divided up into 12 chapters, plus front and back matter.

It uses two page styles, one with page numbers and one without.

When I add blank separator pages between chapters with Insert Manual Break using the page style without page numbers, Writer throws them away, either when it closes the document, or when it reopens it.

Here's what happens. I save the document and the status bar says there are 223 pages. I close the document.

I open the document later and the status bar says there are 217 pages, or 218, or 215, the number varies.

The blank separator pages are gone. What used to be right hand pages are now left hand pages and v.v. Images are moved around. In some cases the text has been reflowed which means I have to do my painstaking manual removal of widows and orphans all over again.

Anybody know what gives? Thanks.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Writer Is Removing Blank Pages Reply with quote

cmryle wrote:
I posted this on the "official" forum. Thought I'd try here too.

I have a document which is divided up into 12 chapters, plus front and back matter.

It uses two page styles, one with page numbers and one without.

When I add blank separator pages between chapters with Insert Manual Break using the page style without page numbers, Writer throws them away, either when it closes the document, or when it reopens it.

Here's what happens. I save the document and the status bar says there are 223 pages. I close the document.

I open the document later and the status bar says there are 217 pages, or 218, or 215, the number varies.

The blank separator pages are gone. What used to be right hand pages are now left hand pages and v.v. Images are moved around. In some cases the text has been reflowed which means I have to do my painstaking manual removal of widows and orphans all over again.

Anybody know what gives? Thanks.

What OS and version of OOo

Are you using Left and "Right Styles?
cmryle
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Writer Is Removing Blank Pages Reply with quote

The OS is Windows XP. I have experienced the problem both under 2.3 and 2.4

I am not explicitly using the left and right page styles that are hierarchically subordinate to the Default page style. The Default page style is set to "Page Layout = mirrored," "Format = 1, 2, 3 ...," with "footer on" checked and "same content left/right" unchecked. The page number is right justified on right hand pages and left justified on left hand pages.

The program does not seem to relate to the Default page style. The problem seems to be with the intervening separator pages, which use a page style without page numbers.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Writer Is Removing Blank Pages Reply with quote

cmryle wrote:
The OS is Windows XP. I have experienced the problem both under 2.3 and 2.4

I am not explicitly using the left and right page styles that are hierarchically subordinate to the Default page style. The Default page style is set to "Page Layout = mirrored," "Format = 1, 2, 3 ...," with "footer on" checked and "same content left/right" unchecked. The page number is right justified on right hand pages and left justified on left hand pages.

The program does not seem to relate to the Default page style. The problem seems to be with the intervening separator pages, which use a page style without page numbers.

Beats me at the moment. I don't see why you would be losing an explicitly inserted page. Is there any chance that OOo has been automatically inserting blanks as well? It had this tendency in 2.3 when an odd number started on the left hand page. If it is dropping this it might be causing the problem but I'm really reaching here.

If the document is not confidential you might want to post it for forum readers to look at.

Handy places to post a file:
media fire http://www.mediafire.com/
or
mytempdir.com http://www.mytempdir.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: