OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Formatting the carret position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anestikas
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Formatting the carret position Reply with quote

Is it possible to change the formatting of the position of the caret?

For example if i have the word HELLO which is red and the caret is right after the word. Then, if I change the color to blue and continue typing, the characters are still red..!

Now I have to type a letter, select it, change the color to blue, put the caret after the letter and continue typing...

Is this normal?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Formatting the carret position Reply with quote

anestikas wrote:
Is it possible to change the formatting of the position of the caret?

For example if i have the word HELLO which is red and the caret is right after the word. Then, if I change the color to blue and continue typing, the characters are still red..!

Now I have to type a letter, select it, change the color to blue, put the caret after the letter and continue typing...

Is this normal?

I am not sure that I understand this. You have text Hello in red but what is the caret? To me a caret is ^ .
So do you have something like Hello ^ ?

Also how are you assigning the colours? It sounds like you may be doing if from the tool bar. In that case do need to select the text.

It would be easier, and better OOo practice to set up two characater Styles, one with red font and one witih blue font and apply them as needed.

A
anestikas
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caret is:

Quote:
The term caret is also sometimes used in graphical user interface terminology where it means a text insertion point indicator, frequently represented by a blinking vertical bar. In this context, it may be used interchangeably with the word cursor, although the latter term is often reserved for a mouse pointer. [wikipedia]

Actually I need this functionality because I use openoffice programmatically (in Java).

Nevertheless, you are right I was using the tool bar.

Quote:

It would be easier, and better OOo practice to set up two characater Styles, one with red font and one witih blue font and apply them as needed.

You are probably right but it's not what I need.

Quote:
In that case do need to select the text.

Ok, if there is no other way, I'll see what I can do.

Thank you
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anestikas wrote:
The caret is:

Quote:
The term caret is also sometimes used in graphical user interface terminology where it means a text insertion point indicator, frequently represented by a blinking vertical bar. In this context, it may be used interchangeably with the word cursor, although the latter term is often reserved for a mouse pointer. [wikipedia]

Actually I need this functionality because I use openoffice programmatically (in Java).

Nevertheless, you are right I was using the tool bar.

Quote:

You are probably right but it's not what I need.

Quote:
In that case do need to select the text.

Ok, if there is no other way, I'll see what I can do.

Thank you

Aha, The old proof-reader's carot. I have not seen that in quite a while.

Out of curiosity, if you're formatting using the toolbar why will a Style not work?
anestikas
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Out of curiosity, if you're formatting using the toolbar why will a Style not work?

a) I don't know how to do it programmatically
b) My program requires that the caret position is colored
and c) I worked around the problem I had, so there is no point in doing this... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: