OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo 1.1.1 slower than it's predessor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: OOo 1.1.1 slower than it's predessor? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just downloaded OOo 1.1.1 and noticed one thing - it even slower than 1.1.0 sometimes when opening files. All memory settings identical but 1.1.1 opens the same files slower than it's predessor. I have to say, not all the time, but for example when the file opened for the first time 1.1.1 "thinking" much more, and most annoying I cannot work with already opened documents till new one is opened. Story repeats when I'm trying to create new document (of any type) via menu File->New for the first time. Is any cure?

Configuration: Celeron 1.7 GHz, RAM 512 Mb, operating system Win2000
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 512 MB you are a lucky guy. I must live with a mere 128 MBytes and saving a 150 page 1.5 MByte doc takes more than three minutes. This very slow saving indeed appears related to the more recent versions. Especially irritating is that the whole office suite is blocked during that time. I hope that this will be improved in future version. Saving is not anymore something I can do every five minutes. Fortunately, OOo is very solid on Win 2000 and when it crashes, it usually can save and recover the most recent changes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
I must live with a mere 128 MBytes and saving a 150 page 1.5 MByte doc takes more than three minutes. This very slow saving indeed appears related to the more recent versions. Especially irritating is that the whole office suite is blocked during that time.

Yes I can imagine. But it is strange that when I'm opening file of 11,5 Kb for the first time (for ech type of file ) it takes about half a minute do do this!!!! Even with all this 512 Mb, for me it is very strange, and 1.1.0 for the same situation is much faster (I have both installed now)
Gabor
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: different Reply with quote

My experience is somewhat different.

Slow it is, yes, but only at the beginning, when I start up my machine and OOo. The first doc opens very slowly but the next and consequent ones open much faster. (Different ones, not the same one for a second time, I mean.)

Also, I have lots of macros added by myself. When I hit the very first of them (whichever it is) after machine start up, it takes a long time to perform, then all the others run fast.

To me this givesthe idea that OOo has to "re-learn" the paths and ways and the like in the given machinen from day to day.

Also, according to my observation it depends more on CPU than on Ram. At work I have 128 Ram and 2.4 Giga CPU and it is ways faster than my 700 Mb Cpu and 256 Ram at home.

Note, I never use the native format since all others I have to share my files with use MS. And saving as doc proved to be, by the way, quicker than saving as sxw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: