OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Outlook replacements to connect to Exchange Server???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gudin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Outlook replacements to connect to Exchange Server??? Reply with quote

Greetings,

Our office uses MS Exchange Server, and MS Office. We are considering switching to OpenOffice at least partly. However, as OpenOffice does not appear to have a client for Exchange, can anyone recommend on? Specifically for group calendaring etc., as I realize there are lots of mail clients that can be used.

Thanks,

Andrew
dfrench

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at http://groupware.openoffice.org/ for the OOo direction.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also take a look at http://www.opengroupware.org
gudin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaaredyret wrote:
Also take a look at http://www.opengroupware.org

OK... Both of these look to be either works in progress (not very usable now) or not particularly usable for what I'm looking for.

I basically was hoping for something that could be used as an exchange client instead of Outlook. They have exchange, they may go to Open Office. Open Office doesn't have a replacement for Outlook in terms of the group scheduling/calendaring/etc. or public folders ala Outlook.

I'd hope we could eventually move to replace exchange outright, but that's not going to happen for a while at least.

Andrew
gudin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I didn't mention, is that it has to run on Windows...preferably the Mac (OS X) as well.

Andrew
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gudin wrote:
I basically was hoping for something that could be used as an exchange client instead of Outlook. They have exchange, they may go to Open Office. Open Office doesn't have a replacement for Outlook in terms of the group scheduling/calendaring/etc. or public folders ala Outlook.

I believe Exchange offers a web interface. I don't know if it is on by default, or if it has to be set up, but it looks just like Outlook in a web browser.

Would that be any use? I know it's not a dedicated application, but from what I've seen, it does everything that Outlook does.

Russ
gudin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avantman42 wrote:
gudin wrote:

I believe Exchange offers a web interface. I don't know if it is on by default, or if it has to be set up, but it looks just like Outlook in a web browser.

Would that be any use? I know it's not a dedicated application, but from what I've seen, it does everything that Outlook does.

Russ

Yeah. We use it. It has some disadvantages though, but I suppose it'll do. I'd LOVE a non-MS (pref opensource) app that works as well as outlook. Maybe eventually, they'll be willing to switch wholesale to opengroupware or some such.

Thanks.

Andrew
ajbwood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is years old - is there any development yet?
I too am in the same situation as the original poster - wan an openoffice type solution to work of exchange 2000 & 2003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: