OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Search using F3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddevore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Search using F3 Reply with quote

I bring up the search dialog and type in a word to search for. Once the word is found I make some changes to the line and press F3 expecting to do a search again. What happens though is I get a dialog saying "AutoText for Shortcut 'word_cursor_is_on' not found."

What is going wrong and how do I fix it so that F3 works for search?[/b]
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be such a thing as Find next, as in WordPerfect and Word. You can however keep the Find dialog box open and with Ctrl+F and Alt+F find the next occurrence. Maybe there's even something better.
ddevore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem isn't that I can't continue to do the search the problem is that once I place the cursor in the document after doing a search I have to do the following:

If the search dialog is still open:
either
press ctrl-f ctrl-f enter
or
click on the find button in the find dialog

If the search dialog is not open:
ctrl-f enter

There does not seem to be anything as easy as pressing F3 like most other applications and what is the "AutoText for Shortcut" and why is it mapped to F3.
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read up on text fragments in the Help that comes with OOo. They're really useful. But they're also another story.

We aren't developers. So why they linked F3 to text fragments - I think Word does that too. But WordPerfect is different.
ddevore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been so long since I used word for all I know it could start my car on a cold day for me. lol

I have never used fragments and I have, since I wrote the last message, looked into them a little and they are similar to auto complete in NetBeans but I still don't see how they would be more useful than having the standard search on F3. This is what most programs use for example press F3 reading this message and the find functionality of your browser will be executed.

I did find a way to switch it to repeat search I think is how it is worded same as what is mapped to ctrl-shift-f3.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the bottom of the right scroll bar are up/down arrows and a button. Click the button, select Repeat Search (4th icon from right, bottom row). Now the arrows will take forward or backwards in your search.

Ctrl+Shift+F is the default keyboard shortcut.

Last edited by JohnV on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done one search, and you have exited the dialogue, or you are otherwise in the document, use CTRL-SHIFT-F to move through finds of the same search value from the cursor position.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: