OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Need default values...but sometimes don't

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njabeen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Need default values...but sometimes don't Reply with quote

So, let me explain the situation followed by the problem/question. Basically I have cell where currency is selected and the cell below it has a formula to enter default exchange rates into USD. SO:

E1 = Currency
E2 = Exchange rate (to USD)

Formula in E2:

=IF(E1="USD";"-";IF(E1="HKD";7.75;IF(E1="RMB";6.75)))

SO:

USD = -
HKD = 7.75
RMB = 6.75

These are the defaullt exchange rates used when none are specified. So when currency is selected the respective exchange rate is automatically entered in E2.

However, sometimes a more up to date exhange rate is specified so I want to be able to enter the exchange rate into E2, without losing the formula. is that even possible? If not any suggestions on how else I could do this?

Thanks!

NJ
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Need default values...but sometimes don't Reply with quote

njabeen wrote:
So, let me explain the situation followed by the problem/question. Basically I have cell where currency is selected and the cell below it has a formula to enter default exchange rates into USD. SO:

E1 = Currency
E2 = Exchange rate (to USD)

Formula in E2:

=IF(E1="USD";"-";IF(E1="HKD";7.75;IF(E1="RMB";6.75)))

SO:

USD = -
HKD = 7.75
RMB = 6.75

These are the defaullt exchange rates used when none are specified. So when currency is selected the respective exchange rate is automatically entered in E2.

However, sometimes a more up to date exhange rate is specified so I want to be able to enter the exchange rate into E2, without losing the formula. is that even possible? If not any suggestions on how else I could do this?

Thanks!

NJ

Are you saying that E2 is an equation not a number? If so, a crude approach might be to use an IF statement here as well and have the formula pull the number from XX automatically and pull from a input cell if you manually set a new exchange value in the input cell.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put exchange rates into certain cells and reference those cells rather than use the typed in values. When you change the values in those cells, the formula will automatically adjust.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: