OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

presenting on powerpoint only computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astolier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: presenting on powerpoint only computer Reply with quote

I give frequent powerpoint presentations out of town but rarely bring my own computer. I am assuming that if I use Impress to create, I will be unable to show the presentation unless I save it in a powerpoint format?? thanks
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: presenting on powerpoint only computer Reply with quote

astolier wrote:
I give frequent powerpoint presentations out of town but rarely bring my own computer. I am assuming that if I use Impress to create, I will be unable to show the presentation unless I save it in a powerpoint format?? thanks

An alternative may be to save the presentaion as PDF? I have not done it but it seems an approach that is often recommended.

Another approach is to take a portable version of OOo with you on a USB key and run the presentation from that http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable .

I use the portable version but only for Writer and Calc so I don't know how well Impress would work from a USB key
Bug
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, if you use automatic timings, embedded audio or video media, and sometimes certain animations, these will not work well or even at all after the presentation is saved in MS Powerpoint format. Others may have different experiences or advice.
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: View presentations with PowerPoint Viewer. Reply with quote

You can get a free download of PowerPoint Viewer at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=en from Microsoft to preview what your presentation looks like with PowerPoint. It still isn't a sure thing, because the other computer may have a different version of PowerPoint, or may lack fonts that your presentation includes.

PDF files will look very similar on any computer, but PDF export doesn't support fancy effects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: