OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Spreadsheets to Go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peterson1000
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Spreadsheets to Go Reply with quote

Hi everyone:

I've been browsing the forums as well as the web in general to find a solution for this problem, but there doesn't seem to be a good summary of this topic. So ...

What solutions are out there to transfer OOo Calc spreadsheets to a PDA? Ideally, I'd be interested in solutions for synchronizing with a Palm PDA (since I'm owning one), but if there are other PDAs that work better / easier, I'd be willing to ditch the Palm and switch ...

I've been using MS Office and Dataviz's "Documents to Go" Version 4 (Japanese) until recently, but unfortunately the Excel .xls files created by OOo Calc produce an error message when opening them with Docs to Go (apparently the format is not 100% identical).

If you have a working solution, please be so kind to include in your post:

DESKTOP OPERATING SYSTEM (VERSION?): (e.g. Windows XP Pro, Kubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 7.02, etc.)

DESKTOP DOCS/SPREADSHEET APPLICATION (VERSION?): (e.g. OpenOffice 2.3)

PDA MODEL (OS?): (e.g. Tungsten T2 with PalmOS 5.2)

PDA DOCS/SPREADSHEET APPLICATION (VERSION?): (e.g. Dataviz Documents to Go version Cool

Last edited by Peterson1000 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
bamsan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've been using Tungsten T3 for 4 years, and using OO for the last 6 months. In order to sync with docstogo, you need to supply the correct format. I'll suggest you to 'save as' docs you want to take with Microsoft format, excel for spreadsheet and word for documents. I've ben using this setting all the time with no problem at all. Hope this help
Peterson1000
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sync between MS Office Word/Excel and a Sony Clie PDA (Palm OS5) via Dataviz's "Documents to Go" version 4 (Japanese), but my Docs to Go version doesn't recognize the .xls files created by OpenOffice.

What version of Docs to Go are you using?
bamsan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using version 6. Docstogo has difficulties to recognise excel files created by other-than-excel program, including access!!! To work around this, keep 1 excel file with excel. Then duplicate it and edit using ooCalc, save with different name. I believe docstogo will be able to recognise this file with no problem at all
bamsan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using version 6. Docstogo has difficulties to recognise excel files created by other-than-excel program, including access!!! To work around this, create 1 excel file with excel. Then duplicate it and edit using ooCalc, save with different name. I believe docstogo will be able to recognise this file with no problem at all

PS. I made a type with previous post. Sorry Smile
Peterson1000
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post has been up for quite a few days, and I'm surprised that there are so few responses.

Is nobody using OpenOffice in conjunction with a PDA??

If you use one, please be so kind to post your solution!
jaycorrales

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am quite interested in using Open Office docs on my PDA (Palm OS device). This seems like a good opportunity for Open Office to convert business users since there are so many that enjoy working away from their office (and laptops).

How does one start an official project like this with Open Office and gain support for it? If it were made with a certain efficiency in mind for the end-user, this could be a good conversion tool for Open Office in the business market. It would be great if it could work with all the major PDA devices (blackberry, Palm, and Pocket PC- blah)

-Jay
jaycorrales

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this article that may be relevant to this discussion:

Former OpenDocument advocates bolt for W3C standard (CDF)
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9806369-7.html

Quote from the article:
"Early implementations of CDF have been designed for reading documents on mobile phones."

-Jay
willyg00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: My solution Reply with quote

Hi, after traying a lot with OO "exceled" files to work on my Treo (With Docs to Go 10, and OO 2.3) y found a solution.
1- In your Palm, go to Docs to go and create a new Excel file
2- Sync your Palm
3- On your PC, open the new XLS created with the Palm (Palm_xls)
4- Open the XLS that doesn't want to work (Original)
5- Copy all from "Original" and past to the new "Palm_xls". Save it.
6- Sync again and open your spreadsheet

Resumed: copy your OO spreadsheet data to a new XLS file CREATED WITH YOUR PALM'S DOCS TO GO.

It works for me, even with mid-complex formulas (OO & Excel compatibles, of course)
Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: